All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Is a game reset a good idea?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Risky Suggestion...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:07 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

Ok, before i give my suggestion, im going to admit, i may get ripped on for this, i may get some good response, but im expecting to get ripped on, so rip away...

Personally, like i said before the game came back online after the ddos attacks.. there needs to be a complete stat reset... i think that the new year would be a GREAT chance to do this.. here are some reasons i feel this needs to be done

1) new players - many new players are discouraged from playing because they cant catch up, which isnt necessarily true, but does have truths to it, it is very tough for newbs to catch up...

2) cashout rate - the cashout rate is climbing, and will continue to climb.. i dont feel that this is all because of the attack system like i have heard some say, but also upgrades get so expensive that you can be spending 80 to 100 dollars worth of gold on an upgrade, which makes people not have enough gold to upgrade, let alone

3) map - the game reset would play in perfect to reset the map... it could shuffle everything up and just leave opportunity to possibly insert other new ideas into the game...

4) boredom - when there is no reason to upgrade and almost costs to much to upgrade, there is no reason to play.. its boring.. new top dogs, new newbs, new everything would make for a very interesting game...

and like i said, you can go ahead and rip on me all you want.. but dont dare say this is a suggestion only for the newbs... because its not, itd just add excitement to the game, and possibly get some people back.. i think that over new years would make a great time because its probably going to be a slow time with people out for new years eve, and possibly away for the holidays... it would be nice if new accounts didnt need to be made, but just reset, although i dont know if thats possible..

let me know what everyone thinks.. dont just say, that sucks, or thats good or i dont care.. please explain in depth why you feel so, i think that could help with progression of the game...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:27 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

of course.. who would have thunk it... some one just shoots it down, but no post.. so typical... just like my last suggestion.. everyone that votes no doesnt post...

please i ask you AGAIN!

post why you feel this way, especially opposed... it doesnt do any good to vote no w/o giving reasons why

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:28 pm 

Husk, I really have not played long enough to have a firm oppinion on all this reset talk from time to time, at least one that would be respected, but let me try.

You state that newbees quit because they find the game difficult to progress in the way it is structured. You also state that with effort it is not impossible to progress, that you can do well.

It also seems obviouvious that some people want a game that luck is a big part in and others want a game that rewards hard work and deeper thinking than required to play, say, Netwinner. The problem in my humble opinion is that to maximize the number of players you have to have both players where luck is a part of the game and players that want to rely on skills. I think that the new attack scheme injects this lu.ck into the game. The funny thing is I still see "neglected ships" and all the skills players are unhappy with the new way the game plays.

Seems to me if you reset the map and everyones stats that you might get an influx of players as well as an exodus of players. So it seems that it does not really matter what is done. Some people will continue to play and some will quit.

As I have tried to play with skill, I upgraded today, I would personely be discouraged if someone was able to leap over my stats because they played the right number on the roulette wheel.

There is one idea that I have never seen discussed in a game like this when the reset delema came about. Has anyone ever proposed that a reset be set up for your one year anniversary date rather than the whole game be reset.
If the sea is not reset then ones knowledge of the currents and hidden bays will allow you to progress through the upgrades at a somewhat reasonable pace. This way (insert game name here) will not always be on top of the food chain.

Of course KingDraggons stats would be reset every month rather than once a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:00 am 
Bros Before Hoes

yes.. many people do quit early... but it is possible to progress... let me explain... newbs can get ahold of a map.. a map makes it 100x easier to progress, especially at earlier levels...

with new players coming in and existing leaving..

i would like to point out...

jamie (fearthefox) no matter how much nobody likes him, is great at these type of games.. he has a great strategy... notice he has slowed his play considerably... so has mskwik, ptrdanno, rycechrispy... popcan has also stated he will be playing considerably less, and it looks to be true as seeing hes not on the leaderboards, same with seacaptainn...

if you cant recognize, those are some of the biggest names in the game.. and if they want, can log on for cashout week, and get over 60 dollars in gold easily, causing many to not be able to cashout...

as your saying with luck.. that is what the new attack system has brought in... as my previous suggestion that is supposed to be being implemented, it will at least cause half of this chaos to end...

im not saying to change the whole format, just calling for a game reset, causing a new map to be made (lets face it some people have 85-95% of this map done)... and thus, LOWER cashout because there is less gold in the system, and allow new players to get to the "top"... i honestly think most of the people that are higher are still playing because they enjoy the game, not because they are dominating... so they would consider to play.. we'll see how this plays out.. but im just giving my reasons...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:41 am 

I'm with huskers on this, more people will play, makes the game more interseting again :D

Get a email out to everyone that used to play and watch the game fill up :wink: we need it as it looks dead on the seas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:30 pm 
John the Fisherman

I voted No on this...

To me, I dream of the day that I can run amongst the seas and see pop or seacaptainn and hit them freely to get a nice chunk of change without the fear of failing and getting raped

This is something I want to earn, not get thrown at my feet..

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:44 pm 

Huskers, I'm afraid that I disagree with you on this one.
I sweated blood & tears (well maybe not tears :) ) to build up halfway decent stats & the thought of losing these with a game reset and having to start all over again. It's a depressing thought :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:11 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

myboardnick wrote:
Huskers, I'm afraid that I disagree with you on this one.
I sweated blood & tears (well maybe not tears :) ) to build up halfway decent stats & the thought of losing these with a game reset and having to start all over again. It's a depressing thought :(

and you think i havent built up my stats?!?!!? thats EXACTLY what i said DONT say.. because honestly, i dont have bad stats.. dont have bad stats at all.. i am in the upper percentiles when it goes to attack and defense upgrades... i have done more than you have nick... notice the two BIGGEST people that have posted here both far have both said for reset (taz and myself)... csstriker, more people will play, and honestly, you will NEVER get to their point w/o them quitting or playing significantly less.. it just wont happen...

a reset just allows a new plane and more people to be the "top dogs"... i'll wait and see what more people say, but it looks like people are avoiding voting because i asked that they post their opinions.. and personally, i think more disagree but dont have good reasoning rather than agree w/o it.. sure its both ways, but thats just my opinion ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:30 pm 
John the Fisherman

huskerswrkhavoc wrote:
csstriker, more people will play, and honestly, you will NEVER get to their point w/o them quitting or playing significantly less.. it just wont happen...

And THAT is why I love challenges...

Sure, do I seriously think I will get to where they are?

not really

but the thought keeps me truckin...

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:50 pm 

Quote:
and you think i havent built up my stats?!?!!?

Of course I do appreciate that :) And I realise that by resetting the game it puts everyone in the same boat so to speak. But in fairnes it's been a while since you have been on another level to most others (in terms of being in the minority of players with higher statistics). For me personally it's only recently that I have been able to achieve what I would call semi-respectable stats so it's still very much fresh in my mind. That's why the thought of a reset grates so much.

As for Taz... I believe that we both started playing around the same time. So we are probably quite close together level wise.

Having said all that.. if a reset looked like becoming a reality and the majority of people voted for it. Then I would back it as well, that would be the fair thing too do.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:12 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

I can see both sides of the argument.....

Being one of the top players according to people on the forums (thanks everyone! :D ) I would hate to see all of my hard work get reset to zero...

But, I do understand the fairness aspect of a reset. Lots of other games like this use a round-system, where you play in a round that lasts x days or x weeks. I am NOT saying that we should do that system, but the concept of resetting everyone's stats is one that works elsewhere and CAN work here.

Reshuffling the map, or maybe working out a continuous rolling shuffle system would, in my opinion, be the easiest, quickest, and least painful way to level the playing field for a short time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:25 pm 

myboardnick wrote:

As for Taz... I believe that we both started playing around the same time. So we are probably quite close together level wise.

I remember you on the new pirate ranks so you must have me wrong on joining at same time, i was here about 2 months before the ddos attacks.

Not to worry though you get through my defences anyway :wink: damn new system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:30 pm 

Quote:
I remember you on the new pirate ranks so you must have me wrong on joining at same time, i was here about 2 months before the ddos attacks.

ah okay I stand corrected :)
I joined shortly after the site returned.

On a side note.. I would be up for a reshuffling of the map.
That seems like a good way of evening things out without resorting to a reset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:45 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

with a reshuffling of the map, yes i think it should happen, BUT whats going to stop people like popcan and seacaptainn from just going all day and mapping... they dont need to get gold to upgrade like everyone else does, so THEY will be the ones with a map... im not even going strictly on a "fairness" based system yet a way to KEEP current players, BRING BACK old players , and BRING IN new players...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:05 pm 

Quote:
BUT whats going to stop people like popcan and seacaptainn from just going all day and mapping...

Huskers, but won't this always be the case regardless of a reset or not.
What I mean is.. there will always be players that do a little bit extra in order to advance quicker. Which is fine. I'm sure when ptw first began these players just spent time mapping for the first month or so anyway.

I figure the way it's set up at the moment.. it is possible for lesser players to catch up with the big boys eventually i.e Seacaptainn, popcan, etc.. simply due to the amount these players will eventually have to shell out on upgrades.