Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you want a reset?
Poll ended at Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:24 pm
Yes, I want a reset at the end of August! 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Yes, but I'd like to wait until the end of September. 44%  44%  [ 17 ]
No! Don't reset my stats! 38%  38%  [ 15 ]
I think the previous three options don't cover my opinion and I've explained why in this thread. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject: Re: 08.13.2009 - Do you want a full stat reset?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm 
John the Fisherman

Kingman wrote:
i started back again in april... not sure when the last reset was but all those that played from the reset had at least a 2 month lead on me... now i have one of the strongest defences on the ocean and my attack is by far not the worst

it can take me up to 8 hours a day just to do my moves and is hard work... so should i be penalised for that hard work?

i can see no reason why those behind cannot catch me if they are willing to put in some work too... roughly half of my months takings can go in cashout so what are those not cashing out doing?????

how can those who rush through their moves in 10 or 20 mins expect to have wonderfully strong ships and make cashout month after month?

Most of us have been in the same boat...(haha, or should I say ship)

but sometimes its what the players want as a whole to determne what happens in these situations

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:04 am 

happy29 wrote:
I just had a thought.If you reset stats let everyone change their username if they want.Then no one will know who anyone else is.Could add a whole new degree of difficulty to the game.
Maybe no names that show up in the game. That would be interesting to attack and be attacked by mystery pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:14 am 

Kingman wrote:
i started back again in april... not sure when the last reset was but all those that played from the reset had at least a 2 month lead on me... now i have one of the strongest defences on the ocean and my attack is by far not the worst

I thing that the stats for kingman, plague, and that guy (I can not remember his name) that hit me last week should be reset to zero at the end of every month.

Of course that is just me trying to make a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:29 pm 

Cremaster wrote:
happy29 wrote:
I just had a thought.If you reset stats let everyone change their username if they want.Then no one will know who anyone else is.Could add a whole new degree of difficulty to the game.
Maybe no names that show up in the game. That would be interesting to attack and be attacked by mystery pirates.

Theres a great idea with a twist
No Names on your radar..but...
the attackers name will only be seen in your attack log
I totally like this idea..youre not just a pretty face Cremaster
:-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 pm 

i like the idea BUT it will not work as 2 people playing on same ip address must not hit each other
and if no name shows up how will they know
if they can change it so you cant hit each other woo hoo way to go
:D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 pm 

OMG I love that idea. I have seen some ideas that come and go but I sure hope SeaCapt takes this one to heart. Not knowing who your hitting is a wonderful idea. Of course there is the problem with the same ip addy. Don't know how you would get around that one, unless of course SeaCapt lets them hit each other since they won't know until it is too late :lol: Good idea Cremaster! :lol: That would be a good version to play for 4 to 6 months.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:40 pm 

Im pretty sure that our very smart Captain can write something into the game that doesnt allow same ip adresses to hit eachother
maybe something like..
you cannont hit this player
dont know how easy it would be to add this feature..but im totaly loving this idea of no names at the moment

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:02 pm 

I do NOT like the no names idea.I wanna know who I'm attacking.
If I know I can't get thru on someone I generally am not going to attack them as I will just waste a move and get 3 fame.No names would mean I would lose my fame control.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 pm 
John the Fisherman

in order to combat that, happy, you would need observation...it would finally put it to decent use!!!

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 pm 

I just don't like the idea. I think it would suck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 pm 

I like happy's idea of being able to change your name if the game is reset. It will allow you to choose whether you want others to know who you are or want to conceal your identity. I don't like the idea of having no names on your radar. For one it would take some of the strategy out of the game. Since you can only hit someone 3x a week, you wouldn't be able to decide when you want to use those 3 attacks. Another problem with it is that you might not want to risk fame on somebody that's not going to give you a decent amount of gold, but with no names you wouldn't be able to choose who you hit.

Kingman, you started 2 months late and it took you 4 months or more to catch up. The new players that start will be around 6 months behind, and it will probably take over a year for them to become competitive.

I think that having a reset every 6-8 months would allow for everyone to build up their ship, and then either buy a few more upgrades to be at the top of the pyramid, or cashout a few times before the reset, since an upgrade starts to cost more than a cashout after a few months. If new players join 3 months late, they will have time to learn how to play the game so that they have a chance to be competitive once it resets. I don't think they will leave and only come back once the game resets, and if they do they will just fall behind because they won't know how to play the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:07 pm 

to slow things down when your about to be hit no longer have the 3 coloured ships make them all green?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:28 am 

Since the last reset, I played as usual for a bit, then really slowed down when it was obvious that there would not be another reset any time soon. Though I enjoyed building up my stats to go after the big guns when I first started, (Sheesh! Almost 2 years ago now!) it isn't NEARLY as exciting as having to do so quickly in just a month's time. The monthly challenges made the game fun again and gave little nobody pirates (ahem) a chance. Sure, it's work to get there, but I like the idea of being able to come back next month and know I have a chance to win even if I screwed up this month! (It is also much more fun to be able to take a break and goof off for a month.)

Someone in this thread mentioned that monthly resets would keep the new players interested, and I think that is correct. It's much more work to be at the top of the heap at the end of each month, but it keeps players much more engaged in the game. More pirates still in the game at the end of the month should=more money for the game.

Why don't you try some of the different suggestions made in this thread, SeaCap? On a monthly basis, you can change things and find out out quickly what works and what doesn't. I'm SURE you'll hear about it either way. Hehe.

Map Quest really needs to start their directions on #5. Pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:16 am 

I voted for a reset at the end of September. To me at the end of August is too soon for us to get a big enough voting sample, and not long enough to prepare. And like said by some others there should be a mass emailing about the poll. Also I've made a new poll here which covers also covers other options and suggestions, alot of which are suggested in this thread.

legowife wrote:
I also like the idea of having other uses for our gold, such as tickets to prize drawings or maybe set up a shop where we can purchase PTW hats/shirts/etc with our gold or silver dollars.

You can use the SD/GD already to buy shirts:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2740

You can also use it to buy banner ads on the site, though that's probably not along the lines of what you were thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:58 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

I don't think I like the idea of making everyone a mystery pirate (i.e. removing names alltogether), but an idea I have had for a while is:

Imagine if you are an actual pirate on your ship 200 years ago. You are looking through a telescope at another ship. You're not going to see "seacaptainn" painted on the side of the ship. Let's make PTW keep more inline with the ocean metaphor and instead of showing someone's name, you would be able to see a few things about them, like:

-how big their ship is (something like how many masts--pretty obvious through a telescope)
-some number of cannons (you would be able to see the ones on the deck but not below deck)
-external features of their ship
-what flags they are flying

The idea of flags opens up a whole new area of things that could be done. A few quick examples:

-People could choose the same flag to identify them as a "fleet" (let's not open that can of worms right now more than just flying a flag)
-New players could fly a flag identifying them as such, so people who don't want to hit new players would easily know.

Now it makes sense that as soon as you actually boarded a ship and attacked them, you'd know who they are. So after that point you would know who it is...that is, until they change their ship in some way, like start flying a new flag or buy a new ship or something.

What do you think?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next