Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: game for sale?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 pm 
the evil pirate

would be a shame to see this site close down , down to 237 members :(

would the admins consider selling it in the near future?

Post subject: Re: game for sale?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:17 pm 

I been pretty active in the game for the last 5 years or so
i also understand that to maintain a game like this requires time
although the last few months have been a drag
maybe someone like popcan could throw a new spin onto this game and turn it back into the thriving game it once use to be
I fired a question to popcan about what sort of changes he would make and i was very impressed with the new ideas he had to offer and would be very excited to see them take affect
Some older players..( not many of them left) might remember the rivalry between me and Pops in the past and i would have probably been the last person to ever support the idea of Popcan possibly purchasing this game..but looking at the dwindling numbers..the lack of new players coming into this game and cash flow in this game..Maybe..just Maybe Sea Capt may consider selling this game .
Popcan is very passionate about this game and has always had a love for this game in the past.I also acknowledge how much work sea cap has put into this game in the past but i truely believe now its time the game went in a different direction
Just my 2 cents worth
cheers
HappyHunting all
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:13 am 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

I completely understand where you are coming from.

I was in the same position several years ago, and came to the same conclusion.

I have tried my hardest to improve on PTW in the ways that I thought would be best, as well as work on something new and exciting that would be "all my own". The hope was to transition from the current game (which we all can agree has its flaws) to a new system that would be easier to add new features to.

Where I failed was in overstretching myself. Developing an online multiplayer game is pretty much the hardest thing you can do, and I tried to do one from end to end--from the backend game algorithms to the visual styling. It's just too much, and the toll it has taken is apparent to everyone.

I have also suffered from the "I have to do it" syndrome that a lot of programmers have. Instead of outsourcing the work or forming a tech startup with employees, I thought that I would be able to handle everything, and I wanted the experience of doing it myself. I kept on putting off things like advertising and marketing because I wanted to finish what was in my head, and finally have something that I could be proud of from a technical standpoint.

I guess, what I'm saying is that I think it's finally time to consider an offer from someone. popcan's made his intentions clear, but I don't want to exclude other interested parties.

I do not know whether I want to outright sell PTW or whether I want to sell portions of it, minimizing my own role to something much less. I have been thinking about this for a while, and thus been relatively absent from the forums while I worked on a plan and tried to get moving on it. I had finally realized that "I don't have to do it myself", and had been attempting to find contractors or employees who would work with me for a share of the profit. Obviously since nothing has been done recently I haven't been successful, so perhaps a different approach is needed.

I'm here, I'm listening, and I'm willing to work with people who have an interest in keeping Pirate The World alive and growing it to new levels. Spread the word to those whom you think are interested.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:13 am 

I would hate to see PTW shut done. I'm willing to help if u need me to. :cry:
Seahawk :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 pm 

I have noticed the game is only available in english, if you ever decide to make a french version of the game, I could help out, I am fluently bilingual. I love PTW and have tried promoting it on Traffic exchanges. I have not noticed if my referral banners work or not. I do see them on the traffic exchanges, but I guess it depends on the people who are interested in playing or not.

I hope PTW does not disappear, it is the highlight of my day to come play when RL is not happening of course.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:52 am 

Wow, had not heard of this until a friend of mine told me about it.

Kudos to pop and Captainn. Both want the game to evolve! I know that Nick has done lots of work and put a lot of sweat into the game. Remember when the game would hang for over a minute, an attack may or may not happen, and all those server issues? Well Cap was the one to improve that 99%. I want to thank him for his efforts and honesty in his post about the game. He is a top notch guy.

That said any tweaking done to the game with a love of the game can not hurt no matter who does it. I am on board for that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:48 pm 
the evil pirate

you have mail