Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Server Crashed
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:43 pm 
the evil pirate

no problem capt , ill calm down

i will take out my frustration on everyone in the sea once i calm down a bit.

I think some pirates would be happy if I quit and I can't have that!!!

my goal is to make 359k back in 7 days..... beware pirates!!!!!!!!

http://www.coinscoinscoins.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:38 pm 

i reckon that it should be written into the rules somewhere from this day forth..if the server crashes then everyone rolls back to the 1st of the month
this way it safe guards the admins and the players get to love it or leave it
cheers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:41 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

It's hard to write a rule like that--especially because it's dependent on backups that can fail too.

I can do nightly or hourly backups, but not everything can always be recovered. Just like yesterday--nearly everything came back intact when you look at the sheer immensity of the database. It was the most heavily used parts of the database that were hit the hardest and data was lost.

We're definitely going to be taking more precautions though. I'm also going to look into splitting the website onto multiple machines so that if something crashes or needs to be taken down for upgrades/maintenance, the forum and website won't be affected.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:57 pm 

have you had any sleep since friday seacapt?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:14 pm 

lol... I passed out on Friday at about 10AM after staying up all night working on it. I had to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later and worked on it until about 10:30PM.

Then I went and had a few beers with friends...went to sleep about 3AM, slept to 11AM, just watched Cal win over Colorodo State while responding to emails and watching the forum.

I'm doing okay. :-D Thanks for asking. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:24 pm 

mary0203, DorEli53, anyone feels like they've been unfairly treated -- please please please PM me or email me directly at the admin email address or my email address -- keeping track of everyone via a forum post will become impossible. With an individual message I can handle it easier. We don't want anyone to leave because of this and we're not playing favorites giving gold to some and refusing it to others.

If we can determine that you had what you say you had and not trying to trick us, then we will take action to restore you to where you were.

This actually will help a lot of people though and may give a boost to some new players. Imagine a new person who buys 5000 gold upgrades. There's a good chance that they were able to make a few upgrades over the last week and they get to keep them. Their gold could have been reset to something higher that what they had before, as well. This, of course, will just makes them a bigger target as well as a bigger threat. :lol: Maybe we'll get a few more "regulars" out of the ashes of this.

Unfortunately, most of the people that are getting hurt also post on the forums! :-D

I reiterate -- at one point I was looking at the possibility of restoring the database to 0 -- meaning everyone's stats and gold reset. It was not a pleasant thought.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:51 pm 

woowoo im up for a total reset
make the playing field a little more even

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:59 pm 
Crotchedy Old Fart

popcan wrote:
i lost over 359k

i had 373k before the crash and 14k after

and you say thats fair bcp?

it takes me 2 weeks to do my upgrades, i dont mind losing part of my gold like everyone else but i should at least get my cheapest upgrade which is less than the 373k in gold I lost.

I've been helping out a lot of newbies lately keeping them from quitting the game by helping them with strategies and pointers. I wouldn't of bothered doing anything knowing I would get shafted like this.

To you, no it is not fair, because you lost a lot of hard work. I was fielding emails all day long, about 50 of them 'I can't login' cause while their username could be recovered from another database, their password, email, name, etc could not. Cap and I were not able to talk about it and his solution was to try and give people their gold back where it could be determined. I disagreed because it was not a solution that would be fair to all. After getting chewed out about 15 times by people complaining about us "playing favorites' I was ready to shut the game down, take the files from 10 minutes after midnight on the first and restore them and leave everyone in the exact same position they were in after cashout, as well as undoing any treasure chest usage from then to now. Cap did not know I had these files when he tried to do what he could, so he took the gold from the cashout script and put that back into everyones account. Someone above quoted what I sent them in an email... we have a record of all attacks, but the island and town data was not fully recovered, and the upgrades are not tracked at all. So if we went entirely by what we had, some people would now be negative gold while others would have all the gold they spent on upgrades back. Where do you draw the line? You are a business owner pop, so if a similiar thing happened to you, you could not tell people that the payments they made on their account could not be tracked and their accounts would be reset to the beginning of the month. You also would not want to tell people that you had lost the receipts of what they purchased and were unable to bill them for what they bought. Maybe by reading this you can begin to understand what I meant. I have the necessary files to reset everything back to the beginning of the month which would mean everyone loses a weeks worth of work. BUT EVERYONE WOULD BE ON THE SAME FOOT. Cap had to leave the upgrades in place cause we didn't have them tracked, but that is unfair cause people got their upgrade gold back. Cap gave some people gold that he was able to determine from other logs, but that is unfair cause not all get their gold back. One person complained that the piracy did not get reset... we can at least leave this much of the hard work people did up there, but is it fair?

Back when the game was under the old managament, they made a change to the attack script 3-4 days before cashout. I upgraded since I saw what the change caused, but then they decided to undo all the attacks BUT LEAVE ALL PURCHASED UPGRADES. I could have cashed out $100 if I had not gotten that upgrade. In all fairness, the admin should have undone everything since they had done a backup before changing the script, but those of us who tried to work through the change got screwed cause they left the upgrades in place.

Regardless, it all comes down to where do you draw the line?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:30 pm 

Thank you for the detailed analogy bcp19 ! :-D

I probably wouldn't have been able to translate what was happening / has happened as well as you have.

Again, I apologize for the server going down, and to anyone who needs it, for my actions afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:46 am 
John the Fisherman

if it's going to make that big of a deal, hand out the 100k I lost to everyone that is complaining...

I honestly could care less...

I am glad you guys are doing what you can, and if that means taking a hit like this, then so be it!

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:16 pm 

I am not concerned about the gold I lost do to the server crashing..I did not mean to make it sound like I was complaining and I certainly do not feel like I'm being treated unfairly...Take the good with the bad...I realized after seeing what some players lost and thought how lucky I was :lol:
The only thing that bothered me was that I did not get to play my moves that day...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:34 pm 
John the Fisherman

haha, yeah

not playing was a real bummer!

I even got up all early to smack MMB, and then as soon as she is on the move, the screen goes blank!

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:16 pm 

:P

Hahahahaha! Too bad, you'll have to wait to get a taste of me!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:37 pm 
John the Fisherman

You taste like Au

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:09 am 

After even more work (imagine sleeping computer guy from other thread) I believe I have set up a system that will back up the database incrementally at set intervals throughout the day. So, in the event that something like this happens again, it should be much easier to recover things.

This also won't take a toll on the game like backups before have...it should pretty much be unnoticed by you the players. :-D