Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: User Specified Pirate Identification
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:31 pm 

It would be somewhat nice if we could choose a way to identify certain pirates so we can quickly know who they are. As is, it often takes a while for a pirate to check who is around them to see if they are someone they want to attack or run away from, and by the time they try to do either it is too late. What I was thinking is a way to designate someone as a target (a bullseye dot would show) or an adversary (an x would show). That way, as soon as someone pops up on your radar you know instantly if you wish to attack them or run away.

The implementation of such an idea I am unsure of. Most ways of doing this would possibly result in quite a bit more server strain. One way I was thinking is to have a menu where you type in the pirate's name and click either an "enemy" or "adversary" button. Upon radar load, the radar would do a quick scan of the people you see vs your list and if there is a match, it would show the respective icon. Excluding inactives, you are likely only to have a maximum of 10 players on your radar, so it shouldn't result in noticeable lag to run a quick crosscheck.

Though I would like to see this implemented, I'm not sure if the coding would be quite worth it. Right now, it'd help alot in sorting out inactives vs actives; however, with ship sinking, that will quickly become moot.

Thoughts?

On a completely offtopic idea: Is there still the plan to implement hotkeys for the ships and possibly search/attack/shop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:32 pm 

this could probably be handled by javascript and cookies = no more drag on the server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:54 pm 

Well the thing about this is that it gives bigger players even more of an advantage. With a 10 radar and huge ship move they could just go around and EASILY find people that they get a lot of money from. it gives lower players no chance in hiding or running. The way it is it makes you look before you attack which gives players a chance at getting away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:58 pm 

actually one person has a version of that already :evil:

CLICK HERE for the Most Offensive T-Shirts EVER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:26 pm 

unclegar95 wrote:

:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:32 pm 

unclegar95 wrote:

who you talking about willis????

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:55 am 

shelvock wrote:
Well the thing about this is that it gives bigger players even more of an advantage. With a 10 radar and huge ship move they could just go around and EASILY find people that they get a lot of money from. it gives lower players no chance in hiding or running. The way it is it makes you look before you attack which gives players a chance at getting away.

Perhaps, though I was under the impression most of the bigger players have low observation and pretty well stick to attacking blues unless they happen to see someone move across their screen or are on carpet bombing attack runs.

New players would not be marked either way until they made themselves clearly known, giving them a bit to try to get a decent ship. Once someone makes it to a Carrack, I think it's pretty easy to try to run from someone due to the radar limitations, if you can get moving fast enough. It then only takes 1 move in the right direction, and they can get out of the opposing player's radar. At that point it's a guessing game for the pursuer to guess which direction they went. If the pursuer is using a Galleon, Man O'War, etc it makes it even easier, as they are very likely to overshoot you in trying to chase.

The main issue with getting away is being able to move before they first try to attack. It takes more time for a new player to look who someone is and then click to move than it does for someone to look who someone is and click attack, since the mouse would already be over their foe. This would help negate that slight advantage. If you can manage to move away from the initial attack, it instantly becomes a cat/mouse game and it can be hard to catch the person as I experienced last night (took 8 attempts at attacking and they weren't even purposely running I don't think).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:51 am 
Bros Before Hoes

shelvock wrote:

aznxasazn wrote:
Perhaps, though I was under the impression most of the bigger players have low observation and pretty well stick to attacking blues unless they happen to see someone move across their screen or are on carpet bombing attack runs.

new pirate leaderboard... all that needs to be said