Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do veterans keep their Gold? Bank idea?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:43 pm 

Well, to begin with, I'm a noob, day 2. I am an advanced noob though, as I've played several MMPOG games on the net, and know what to look for normally.

However, this is a bit different than most games I've played, since as I've read, there won't be resets. At first this seemed very unfair to us noobs, but upon further analysis, I can somewhat understand leaving it this way.

Now, I see that currently the conversion rate for $20 is over 106,000 gold, and I have no idea what it will be like on 9/30/06. But, I don't know how a noob as new as me can hold down 100,000 gold on the final day, and keep it all.

Are there suggestions on how I can keep my gold and have a shot at the conversion, or do I need to spend the next year building my ship up, and spend $100s to catch up?

I started thinking about banks, which I'm sure has been thought about, but maybe a good idea was never brought to the table.

I started thinking, put a bank at every 50 coordinate, so if I'm at a bank, then if I were to move 50 spaces in any direction I would come to the next bank. (ex 0,0 0,50 0,-50 50,50 50,-50 50,-100 -50,-50 and so on). But then I thought, a noob like me would just start "walking the line" to the bank, with my 1, 2, or 3 Radar Upgrade, and some veteran would just campout at 5,5 and hit any noob before they got to the bank. :cry:

So, then I thought, well, there are plenty of towns on the map, I went probably 200 straight moves straight south on the Prime Meridian (I think that's what line it was) and probably crossed through 20-40 towns on my way. So, maybe every town has a bank, but how easy is that, to just have a bank whereever. But I do feel you need them located more frequently like this, so that the veterans cannot just "drop their anchor."

So how can people be somewhat discouraged about using the services of a bank?

Well, my thought is charging a fee. The fee could be something like of the gold you plan to deposit, 10% plus 500 gold, OR 20% of the gold you plan to deposit. Whichever fee is smaller.

So a player with 10,000 gold to deposit would either be charged 1,500 and 8,500 gold would be deposited, or 2,000 as a fee, which would obviously not be taken.

But to make this easier on a smaller deposit, a 4,000 deposit would be either 400+500 = 900 charge or 800 following the 20% rule, and therefore depositing just 3,200.

So that is my suggestion. However, I could see where a veteran would prefer, no 20% rule, because then someone would just continue to deposit at every town, and never carry much money on them. So 10% + 500, would almost force players to save up to 3,000-5,000 gold before depositing it into the bank, as that +500 would eat up the deposit.

Now, from a business management standpoint, PTW will payout the same amount of cash based on gold, whether people are able to use the bank or not. The conversion rate will just be higher. Also, I haven’t had much stolen from me yet, so I don’t know what it will be like later on when I’m building toward a costly upgrade, but, I’m sure some players have or will be turned away because they find that there is no way for them to save their money. And with a bank, maybe they feel that they can keep building toward a cashout.

You may also want to charge a daily “security fee” of 1% to each bank account, so you may want to spend your gold on upgrades earlier in the month.

Now, if this is not enough, you can promote the game, bring in more cash, have larger payouts and so on, by charging an actual fee for the bank such as you have to pay $2.00 USD per month to have access to the bank. Or possibly, start a Subscription package for $5/month (if you don’t have one already, that I just have not found) where, for $5 you get access to the bank, plus an additional 100 moves every 12 hours. On other MMPOG sites, I’ve seen owners make quite a bit of money off of people who go on long vacations and forget to turn off their subscription in paypal…or don’t know how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:45 pm 

Sorry about the long post...I tend to go into detail.

Give me thoughts, or reasons this has been shot down in the past, and I can improve my idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:20 pm 

first to cash out dont post in the forum (draws too much attention)

second dont attack too much you dont want your name on the leader board

third keep your fame as low as possible
you MUST end each day with 0 fame

cashout should be close to that amount maybe up to 30-40k more at the most

make a map

see how much gold you get in a day
plan that many days for cashout

plan on having 2-3 days extra for cashout

read alot in the forums

banks wont work
you only lose 1% if you are hit with 0 fame plus each pirate can only hit you 3 times a week

CLICK HERE for the Most Offensive T-Shirts EVER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:13 pm 

[quote="unclegar95"]cashout should be close to that amount maybe up to 30-40k more at the most

make a map

banks wont work
you only lose 1% if you are hit with 0 fame plus each pirate can only hit you 3 times a week[/quote]

Well, it's good to know those numbers, like 0 fame = 1% loss, and that cashout might be as high as 150k.

I guess it might be worth it to make a map, as much of a pain in the ass it will be.

But...Why won't banks work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:22 am 
Bros Before Hoes

because it'll jack the cashout rate even more.. ill make more interest than you ever will... its 100x easier for me to go out and make 100k than it is for you... its just better for small players w/o a bank feature.. and we dont have to worry about this b/c im 99% sure its been shot down before

Post subject: cash out
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:34 pm 

i play rpg games and some that when you cash out you lose 1/2 of your power. so letting the lower players have a change to look forward to maybe cashing out some day their self. i been playing ptw for severl mounths and do'nt see any posible way of ever cashing out? been hit 25 to 35 times a day. this works great on other rpgs it might work here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:41 pm 

Well, I don't recall saying anything about "interest" I actually said it in the opposite direction, that you would LOSE 1% per day. Also, for veterans who are so far ahead, for one of us to catch up, and get a costly upgrade, we will need a bank just to store the gold until we catch up.

The cashout rate doesn't matter. PTW will still pay out the same amount, and it gives everyone a more equal shot at saving up their gold.

If some noob, wants to spend 5 months, building up 2 million gold, so that they can cash out for $20, then I think they deserve it for the amount of time they've put into the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:27 pm 
Crotchedy Old Fart

Even at a 1% loss per day, a bank would have far too much power in this game and cause a lot of the big guys to get even bigger. Fox used to put 8 or more hours a day farming the islands, he used to brag about getting 300-400k a day. If he had a bank to store it in, he'd be able to make even more cause he would not have to worry as much about fame. And since cashout is determined by how much gold is in play, I can see cashout getting up in the 500k-1mil range with this idea.

I have never played a game that you lose half your upgrades if you cash out, and I do not think that would work well here, unless the attack routines were changed again. We are already going to have gold trading hands a lot now, with that idea, it would become even more so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:49 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

some know what game your talking about... notice that in order to be really successful you have to pay for it... i dont like that idea, because then there would really be no point in upgrading too much because of how impossible it will be to get them back up top, and the way attacking works here... its not if x > y = succeed or x < y fail... like it is over there