Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If people don't like the new attack system...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:40 pm 

Suggest a new one here. I for one like the new one, but we try and listen to all our members. I will tell you one thing it won't go back to how it was originally. I like how you don't necessarily have to be as strong as someone to beat them. Just like in reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:51 pm 

Only thing i don't like is the revenge part of it, most hit you but you fail after, maybe a guaranteed revenge hit once a week at least would be good :twisted: on the ones that you would normally would win anyway with the old system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:15 pm 

I personally like the new changes in attack, makes it all more exciting :D
The only thing I wasn't keen on was the high percentage hits for having 0% fame. But since you changed that to 1% of total booty seems a lot more balanced.

btw - congrats to everyone that hit me today with a +100 fame. Couldn't find a reset for love nor money. Well actually I could of used the money option, but chose not to on this occasion.

Don't spend it all at once :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:45 pm 
Crotchedy Old Fart

the problem in suggesting a new one is that we don't know how the current one works. I will take a shot in the dark though...

cannon + crew = attack, hull + navigation = defense.

if a's attack = b's defense, then there is a 50/50 chance of winning
if a's attack = b's defense + 1 then there is a 55% chance of winning
attack = defense + 2 then 60% chance of winning
etc...

attack +1 = defense then 45%
attack + 2 = 40%
etc...

The curve is too gradual, making the lower players win too often and the higher players lose too often.

It should be more on a logmarithmic scale than a linear one. If attack and defense are equal then it is 50% and if attack is one higher than there a 75%, 2 higher an 95%, 3 higher a 98% 4 higher 99, 5 higher 99.9, 6 higher 99.99, etc. and the same for the other way around.

Maybe make part of your 'defence' affect your offense, like when you go to attack, your navigation vs their navigation is also figured into the equation, maybe even add the ship they are in into the equation as well.

Like if I have a navigation of 10 and I am attacking a person with a navigation of 9, and my attack is 1 higher than their defense, then an extra 10% is added in. example with the 1 point difference, I now have a 75% chance + a 10% navigation bonus makes it a 82.5% chance. Conversely, if I had a navigation of 8 then I would only have a 67.5% chance.

Maybe there is a penalty for being in a dinghy going up against a galleon or vice versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:36 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

i had something in mind but i forgot most of it after reading bcps.. i like that idea.. i like the attacking system, but i think that higher players fail TOO often on lower ones.. i like bcp's system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:39 pm 

bcp, your system is great. I think its one that would benefit everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:37 pm 

What you think our attack system is is way off, but about yours it is basically like the original. It makes players with even 1 higher or a few untouchable. You may not think so, but it is. I may be able to add some tweaks in to the current one or something could be off, but I don't think so. If I told you how it worked you'd think oh that's pretty equal besides a little luck involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:39 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

shelvock wrote:
What you think our attack system is is way off, but about yours it is basically like the original. It makes players with even 1 higher or a few untouchable. You may not think so, but it is. I may be able to add some tweaks in to the current one or something could be off, but I don't think so. If I told you how it worked you'd think oh that's pretty equal besides a little luck involved.

that little luck comes into play a LOT though... or so it seems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:02 pm 

Okay I just checked stats of someone who said they had a bad day today with failing attacks and all but one of the failed attacks was within 3 levels and one person was 3 levels above them and they failed. the one person they failed against who was lower was 10 levels below them. Like I said this is the chance happening. So all these people you could hit before and you're failing now are probably not that far below you so I really don't see a problem now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:22 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

shelvock wrote:
Okay I just checked stats of someone who said they had a bad day today with failing attacks and all but one of the failed attacks was within 3 levels and one person was 3 levels above them and they failed. the one person they failed against who was lower was 10 levels below them. Like I said this is the chance happening. So all these people you could hit before and you're failing now are probably not that far below you so I really don't see a problem now.

what do you mean by "levels"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:24 pm 

if someone has 25 attack against 15 defense then the difference is 10 levels. That's what I meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:52 pm 
Crotchedy Old Fart

shelvock wrote:

Sigh, I stated in my post "a shot in the dark" which means the first thing that came to mind. I went a little extreme..... aw forget it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:43 am 
Bros Before Hoes

shelvock wrote:
if someone has 25 attack against 15 defense then the difference is 10 levels. That's what I meant.

ok... so pop is obviously not one of those that was w/n 3 levels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:21 am 

how about this since it don't matter to me....

attack = cannon + crew
defense = hull +nav

attacker > defender = success if attackers observation > than defender observation but if defenders Navagation is higer than attackers observation its a fail.....

this goes by the idea if you can be seen (higher obs level) you can be hit but if you can avoiid the hit (higher nav) youwon't get hit.....

Sorry if i did not explain this right, but think about the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:03 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

uh.. no so in other words you can only attack green ships.. not blue ones.. because that is what decides that... and obviously you cant attack red ones...