I like
Just part 1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just part 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Both 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Neither 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Lines and circles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:47 am 

Now that we have live radar I have thought of a good idea which would work well with it. How about if we could all see what was going on around our ship other than just who is moving?
The way it would work is:
1) If you have a ship on your radar you can see a circle around them which is how far they can see. If you were really in a ship and could see another ship then you would be able to see if they could see you or not. The circle around their ship would be green if you weren't on their radar and red if you were.
2) If a ship on your radar attacks you, you would see a line from their ship to yours with an arrow pointing at you. If their attack failed then the line would be green, otherwise it would be red. The line would also show when another ship on your radar gets attacked. With the line being between the 2 ships and the arrow showing who got attacked. It could even show missed attacks which would be shown as a green (Failed) line aimed at the sea where the ship moved from.

The point of my idea is to give us information that we would have in real life if we were on the ships. Here are some other notes which should clear up most of the questions you may have:
1) The lines and circles would only last on the radar for about a second.
2) If the attack line crosses over a ship then there will be a break in the line at that point but the rest of the line will be there as normal.
3) You will not see a sight circle around your own ship.
4) You will not see an attack line from your ship when you attack another ship.
5) If a ship has you on radar but you don't have it on radar then you will not see the circle around that ship or an attack line if it attacks you.
6) A failed attack which gives you gold could be green but with 2 arrows pointing at your ship.

This idea should help all players by letting them know who is doing what and if running will help. It would also mean that players wouldn't need the attack window to be live to know when they have been attacked (Failed or small amount) which should help stop any lag. If drawing the lines and circles is a problem I am happy to make that part of the code which should be fast. I can draw pictures and explain further if any of this is unclear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm 
John the Fisherman

seems to be too much in favor of fishers...

I voted neither, as I would rather like to see some other things get worked on first

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:20 pm 

Hey strike, is this is where I agree with you and then do this ? --> :roll:

Actually after working with RADAR for 20 years in the Navy, what you are describing is not quite how it works...

Come to think of it, only modern day pirates have RADAR... Back then they used lookouts... (people)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:37 pm 
John the Fisherman

Captain_Chaos wrote:

Come to think of it, only modern day pirates have RADAR... Back then they used lookouts... (people)

maybe upgrading your crew will help that out then...

*sarcastic :roll:*

I want to be a fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:52 pm 

would add a nice little somthing =)

givin the game more flavor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:24 pm 
Crotchedy Old Fart

I agree with Chaos, I know of no current system that would allow you to see the radar circle for another ship. With sensing equipment you can get a bearing and rough signal strength, but without knowing the power output of the system you were seeing, you would have no idea how much of an area it could cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:54 pm 
John the Fisherman

plus, it would suck balls for those with a higher radar...all you would have to look for is a giant moving circle, then move towards it

I want to be a fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:41 pm 

Well I based the idea on the fact that I thought by radar the game meant lookout. Otherwise I would be in a jet with rocket launchers and would fly to each town in search of computers to take. Don't get me wrong as I really like this game but why would we be in sailing ships trying to get gold if things such as radar had been made?
So if we were in a lookout with our telescopes looking at another ships lookout then we would know where they were looking. As well as being able to watch their cannons to see where they were pointing and if there was smoke.

CSStriker wrote:
seems to be too much in favor of fishers...

I voted neither, as I would rather like to see some other things get worked on first

I think it would help movers more because once you know there is a ship which can't see you then you could follow far back and watch to see if they are getting fame or not. No player would want to waste their 3* weekly hits on a ship with no fame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:15 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

We may be able to call it "Lookout" instead of "Radar". I've always thought that it was kind of weird.

When I read this, I wasn't imagining it as a giant circle, but instead a fixed-size circle surrounding them that would be colored like the dot. So you'd see a blue dot with the possibility of a green, blue, or red circle around it.

Just my quick thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:57 pm 

Also the main part of my idea I thought would be good is part 2 since it would be like watching cannon balls shoot all around. And once you see another ship is trying all the ships around you then you know to run if you are a smaller player.

SeaCaptainN wrote:
We may be able to call it "Lookout" instead of "Radar". I've always thought that it was kind of weird.

When I read this, I wasn't imagining it as a giant circle, but instead a fixed-size circle surrounding them that would be colored like the dot. So you'd see a blue dot with the possibility of a green, blue, or red circle around it.

Just my quick thoughts.

It may not be worth it to change the name just for that. Since it is in many places I guess it would be harder to change than just a display message.

I don't really get what you mean by a fixed-size circle though because we don't all have a set size for our radar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:11 am 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

I meant like a circle around the other pirate's dot that wouldn't change size with their radar but would change color.

If the pirate is a filled circle 5 inches in diameter (obviously exaggerating), then there would be a an inch of nothing and then a non-filled circle that is 6 inches in diameter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 am 

That sounds fine to me as it would still let us know if we can be seen or not. Either that or 1 circle which is full if they can't see you and just an outline if they can. Circles are part of the ASC set so you wouldn't need any pictures. E.g or . So far the poll shows I need to go back to the drawing boards but this twist on the idea might be liked more.