Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: referral system
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:14 pm 
John the Fisherman

Let's get some ideas on how to improve this...

I want to purchase some ads on some other sites with my own money to get people to come here, but I want it to be worth it for me...

So lets see what we can come up with

*passes out thinking caps*

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

Post subject: Re: referral system
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:31 am 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

Here's some ideas that I've come up with to solve a few problems:

A new player comes in and plays. After x amount of moves, they get a one-time bonus in their treasure chest of some doubloons, let's say 5 Silver Doubloons.

At the same time, if they were referred by someone, their referrer would also receive a one-time bonus, let's say 1 Silver Doubloon.

At the end of the month, when referral gold is calculated, the recurring monthly bonus per referral would be higher than it is now...let's say 5 times more -- 2500 gold instead of 500 gold.

I think this would not only encourage more people to refer others, but it would also give new players an idea about what doubloons can do and what they could earn by referring others.

This way, if you refer 100 people and 50 of them manage to get past the x amount of moves that it would take, then you could earn 50 Silver Doubloons. At the end of that month you would earn 125000 referral gold. If all 50 continued playing, then you would earn 125000 each month thereafter. Obviously the numbers may change a little but the principle is the same.

Of course, there's a potential for abuse, but that's something that we can keep an eye on. :-D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 am 
John the Fisherman

sounds good to me!

I am about to purchase some ad space on other sites, so I want to make sure I get the best for what I am about to pay, haha

Any clue when you might be trying to upgrade it?

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:18 pm 
John the Fisherman

another thing I have noticed is that you have those Voting sites on the side of the main window, before you log in...

Why not give out some Silver dubloons as a reward for voting for the site?

That should boost people's intentions to vote, and get your game higher up in the ranks...

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:49 pm 
Sadistically Sane Sailor

I like that idea captain! Makes it more worth while by far for referring people! Im down for it. I'll start puttin forth the effort of referring if thats gonna be the reward.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:57 pm 
John the Fisherman

I would like to get more handsomely rewarded for my referrals!

I think if a player plays 3 days out of the week then we should get 500 at the end of that week, and probably more than that!

it's tough getting people to stay sometimes!

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:44 am 

I was just looking at the referral page and have had a good idea. How about if it gave the date that each of our refferals last logged in??. Not that we would attack our own referrals anyway, but just the date wouldn't let us know when they were playing. But it would help us to know how long our refferals are staying in the game, who has quit, etc. I was also thinking that refferals who logged in within the last 2 days would be green (Growing.) meaning no need to worry. Referrals who haven't logged in within that time would be red (Hot.) meaning we could be losing them. And lastly referrals who had been sunk would be blue (Cold.). Each group could have a link to expand or hide them to help clear the page of the mean people who decided to cut our gold supply (By quitting.). Also the ships on the list getting sunk could be in real time, meaning if we had their coords saved then we could go there and get the mean player who sunk our referrals ship, :D .
Maybe this colour system could even be built into the log book so you could see if you had attacked any of your refferals and if they had attacked you. With the game screen also showing the players name in the same way when you hover the mouse over them. The colours for the log and game screen would use the same idea and colours as for the refferal page. This is 1 of my late night posts of course, so it probably has both text mistakes and things I haven't thought of. But I can't think of any flaws with the idea at the moment except that it would probably take a ton of tiring programming and may not even work with the current system.

P.s:
When checking to see if there were any threads already made about referrals I found that this was 1 of the few threads which had a post by socorban. So just a reminder that we all miss you and want you back, :( .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:59 pm 

Another idea I've had is how it would be good to have some form of proof to other people that we were referred by who we say we were. The main reason for this would be so when we buy referrals on here using another site, the players who join under us will have proof to that site that they joined under us, and that would let that other site know that we really got a referral and the person didn't lie. For this system I think it would be good if we each had a box which we could enter and change a password which other people can then use to check who we were referred by.

Here's 2 examples which should help show my point (Though I could be missing something.) assuming person A has paid for some signups:
1) Person B joins PTW but without using person A's referral link and sends the confirming email they got to the site person A paid. Or Person B doesn't even join PTW and makes a fake email which they send to the site person A paid. Either way they get credit for the signup without person A getting a referral.

So seeing how example #1 could fail, here is how it would work with my idea.
2) Along with the payment, person A gives the other site their user name. Person B then joins PTW using person A's link from the other site. Next person B tells the other site that they joined PTW using person A's link through the other site and also gives the user name they just used to join PTW. The other site gives person B a temp password to enter on their referral page. Next the other site can come to the PTW homepage and enter into the first box person B's PTW user name, and into the second box the password they gave person B to enter on the referral page.
If the PTW user name matches the password (Person B really is who they say they are.) then the PTW page will show a message saying "Person B was referred by person A". The other site can then credit person B for the signup and -1 signup that they owe person A. But if when the other site comes to the PTW homepage, either the user name and password don't match, or it doesn't show they were referred by person A, then person B gets no credit from the other site and person A doesn't lose out on a referral they paid for.

In my case I would be person A wanting referrals, but I would want to know I was getting what I paid for. Getting free referrals is much better, but it's much harder to do and in some cases not possible.