Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: playing hints and stratergies for new players please add
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:55 am 

the first hint that has helped me the most is to take the time to draw up a map of several areas 20x30 squares shoul;d do and mark all islands towns and lagoons. the values of gold and what you find will vary each day but the islands etc will rem,ain the same. This will help when you wish to conservre moves keep low fame and get gold to upgrade. IF ANY OTHER PLAYERS HAVE HINTS YOU HAVE FOUND HELPFUL PLEASE ADD THEM

Post subject: Re: playing hints and stratergies for new players please add
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 am 

Another idea: don't use all your moves at one sitting. And for god's sake, make sure you start looking for a reset before you get down to 100 moves. And remember this is only a game. It is for fun not life or death. So you loose some gold, so what, we all do. Get over it and move on, have fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:07 am 

Mapping:

Make a map outside of the game, on this map put everything.

In-game map feature, use your out of game map to find and locate groups of islands that are clumped together all over the whole map. Map these groups in game (you get 500 free map spaces) which are more than enough for several areas. Use these areas to search for resets.

Fame:

Keep fame at a level that you can afford to lose x amount of gold, if you go over that fame level search clumps you have mapped for resets.

Attitude:

You will lose gold, you will feel like it is impossible, you will want to give up.
You will grow only if you have the fortitude to continue on in what seems like an impossible task.

Time frame:

You will not become one of the top dogs over night or even in weeks, it may take months to feel like you are gaining anything.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:02 pm 

I agree, for the most part about putting everything (not just Islands) on a map outside the game. Use the ingame map for some islands only.

Outside I admit I don't keep track of Reefs or Ocean (and I may regret that if Cap ever does something with them..) but my maps keep track of Towns, Lagoons and Islands.

1) Towns are good to know where they are in case you get the gold you need for an upgrade and need to get the upgrade quick before someone tags you.

2) Lagoons are sometimes a losing proposition, but the .01 GDs add up (to over 5GD for me the last time I cashed out) and there are still prizes out there. Never discount the morale boost of a prize pearl (with the exception of one person, you know who you are).

Also, when farming (Island hopping on your map) upgrade your ship, not neccessarily all the way, but up to levels 4-5 are good for reset hunting and other farming. (More is better when you start hitting larger players and need to run afterwards)

DO ONE THING AT A TIME: If you are on an attack run, run around and attack. If you're farming for a reset, farm for the reset and don't keep attacking. This can help keeping your fame at a manageable level.

EVALUATE FAME RISK: More gold you have the greater risk there, so keep an eye on your fame and your gold to decide how much to risk before looking for a reset or farming.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:10 pm 

Here's the most golden hint I can give:

Ask for help when you are stuck. Do not whine and threaten to leave, it just pisses everyone who has succeeded off.

But asking for help, in the forum, in the chat room and other places almost always results in good information and a listening ear who can help. You'll find for the most part that almost all the experienced (hell, even in the inexperienced) are friendly folks who will share what they can to get you off the ground. With very few exceptions it is a friendly competition here, and advice on playing very free flowing.

A second part to that: Try the advice out that you receive before going negative. You'll find that the experienced players here do not give people bum steers, but give things that benefitted them in the past.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm 
John the Fisherman

sometimes a change of movement is enough to shake players off your tail...if you constantly move north around the map, then move a space east, it will be easy for players to follow your trail

pay attention to when certain players play...you might be bale to avoid certain players b yplaying at certain times

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:29 pm 

FAME this is used as a rough calculation of how much gold you will lose if successfully attacked. IF YOU HAVE 0 FAME =1% approx of total gold 2000 gold= 20 gold lost
IF YOU HAVE 1 FAME = 3% approx of total gold 2000 gold= 60 goid lost
IF YOU HAVE 25 FAME = 27% approx of total gold 2000 gold =540 gold lost
IF YOU HAVE 48 FAME+ =50% approx of total gold 2000 gold = 1000 gold lost this is the maximum % of gold you can lose even with fame higher than 48

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm 

DISCIPLINE

If you are going to play this game and want to advance, you have to maintain discipline!

Don't think you are going to advance rapidly and then get frustrated, post a whining and quit! Understand that you are going to have to put some work in to get some reward out!

You cannot advance without a strategy! Even if you dedicate yourself to just hitting islands and lagoons and maintaining zero fame, if you are moving blindly you are only going to make about 4K-10K a day and after a week will have hit the point of dimninishing returns where you are losing daily what you gain! I will be making another post about this for those interested.

Make yourself sit down and map out large areas on graph paper so you can farm effectively. This includes ingame mapping of potential reset farms as mentioned above.

Here is a basic strategy for newcomers to get you going:

Spend the first day or two running around hitting everything so you can get a feel for the game. You will make some gold but you will invariably run into someone who is going to smack you down. That's the way it is and will always be! This excercise should teach you why no fame is important!

Pick a point on the map and map out like jwmcn1 and nimitz have said above.

Once you have mapped enough to use up a couple days moves, start farming these areas to hit only islands and lagoons where moves and gold can be earned with zero fame. Alternate areas so you won't deplete the gold available.

When you have enough for an upgrade, buy one! Ship, radar and defense should be the first things built up. You will now be down to no or nearly no gold.

Now spend the rest of the day rewarding your discipline by rampaging. You might get lucky and sink a ship or find a nice island cluster you want to map. Either way it will release the tension pent up by monotonous farming!

Next day, back to farming, read the forums, pick up more tips and maintain discipline until you have built your ship up enough to keep what you kill!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:46 pm 

Haha, well and this is exactly why I stopped playing. Not because the game is unfair for newbies, not because I got attacked a lot (cause, ain't that just what pirates do?), but because it is so freaking time consuming if you want to get anywhere. It takes a lot of time, and honestly, it gets rather boring just moving around and clicking on coloured squares and dots. If you're more patient than me, a map can easily help you farming about 30 k (or more!) a day. I did that for a while.

I actually find this forum a lot more vivid and entertaining than the game itself.
Oh, and don't worry I did not log in to the game, so you'll still be able to sink me :p

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:19 am 

So what would make it more interesting, 3d graphics, or would it be more things to do like Outwit and such?

bolifantje wrote:
Haha, well and this is exactly why I stopped playing. Not because the game is unfair for newbies, not because I got attacked a lot (cause, ain't that just what pirates do?), but because it is so freaking time consuming if you want to get anywhere. It takes a lot of time, and honestly, it gets rather boring just moving around and clicking on coloured squares and dots. If you're more patient than me, a map can easily help you farming about 30 k (or more!) a day. I did that for a while.

I actually find this forum a lot more vivid and entertaining than the game itself.
Oh, and don't worry I did not log in to the game, so you'll still be able to sink me :p

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:24 pm 

Another thing is when you get a couple of upgrade under your belt, don't get such high fame. Get maybe one or two and then go to your maps and farm looking for a reset. When you find one go for fame again, then farm again. Don't think you can get the high fame with out loosing some gold. And don't get mad and frustrated when you do, it is only a game. Have fun with the game. And yes it is time consuming but what did you expect? All games have their times that they are not exciting. Monopoly is also time consuming but I like to play it once in a while too!
Maybe they would like a sea monster to jump out at them. that would be exciting lol