It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Good idea??
Yip 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Nope 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Chat bot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:34 pm 

With the chat starting to be used more, I'm thinking it would be cool if we had a chat bot in there. This could be in the form of an IRC client always connected to both the chat and game server so that users can enter commands in chat to get info about the game, and the bot could also relay info back to the game for people not in chat to see who is there etc. Some of the ideas I had for it were:
1) The command "!new" would allow users to make a chat account with the bot using their username and a made up password. The input format would be "!new [username] [password]". If the username is taken then the output would be "Signup: Taken", otherwise it would be "Signup: Done". This user list could be edited by admin so that no one can take another players name. Or to stop abuse, the user list could be premade so we are given a username and password by admin, and only players are given it, with the command being disabled.

2) The command "!login" would allow users to login to their account that they made with the "!new" command. Logging in would allow the user to use more chat commands. If a chat user gets the wrong password 5 times then the bot will give them a 20 min ban from the room, and will also send a message to the username that they were trying to login to (Much like the "!send" command.). After logging in, the bot would PM the user any messages left for them. The input format would be "!login [username] [password]". On login, the bot would also give the user voice so that other users would know they are logged in.

3) The "!send" command would store messages for other players given their username. When the other person gets the message, the output format would be "Received: [time] [username]: [message]" for each message. The input format would be "!send [username] [message]". If the user being sent a message doesn't have an account then the output would be "Send: Invalid user". To stop abuse this may require login.

4) The "!hits" command would list the top 10 hits since the last moves reset. With the input format being "!hits". And the output format being "1) [time1] [amount1], 2) [time2] [amount2], etc" (Noting the lack of names.). Being that it could have a big output, the output would be PMed to the user entering the command.

5) The "!movers" command would say how many players had moved since the last moves reset. The input format would be "!movers". And the output format would be "Movers: [count]".

6) The "!last" command would say when a user in chat last posted a message. With the input format being "!last [username]". If that user isn't in chat then the output would be "User: Not here", otherwise it would be "User: [time]". This could be good for knowing when users are away, but haven't set themselfs as away.

7) The "!chat" command would say how many different users have been in chat for the day. Input format would be "!chat" and output would be "Chat: [count]".

I can't think of any other commands at the moment, but these could be added later as suggested by other players in this thread. Also I was thinking that since the bot would be connected to both the IRC room and the game, it could send the user list back to the game, which everyone logged into the game could view much like their live attack log. It would tell people who was in chat, who was logged into their chat account, and who was set to away. There could also be a command which would tell the bot to hide/show yourself on the list. This command would be good for those that are chatting but fishing, etc. Though they would still be seen if people come to chat to check who is there.

I would be happy to help with the coding once I find where to learn more about the script commands and variables that the client uses. Feel free to also suggest other chat commands you would like added to the bot incase admins decide to go with it.

Post subject: Re: Chat bot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 pm 

To save trying to edit that huge post even more I will put updates here:
Being hidden from the user list built into the game should be the default, and to be shown in that list the user would just enter "!show".
Also I can't think of a good name for the bot, but was thinking along the lines of Wally or Rummy. Feel free to suggest better names for it also.
To save having to click each time to see what's been voted, I have voted "Yip" to my own poll.
Commands could also be sent to the bot by PM, for private info such as messages left for other players.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:52 pm 

chat bot is a good idea;the commands looks complicated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 pm 

That's a good point, add to the command list a help command.

I think if the bot idea goes ahead then it will bring more players to chat, which in turn should help the game, because new players coming to chat will see that the game has lots of players (Which it does, but very few of them use the forums and chat.). The more people in chat would mainly at 1st be because of the bot giving info that players would need to come to chat to get such as the big hits list, but then after awhile it would probably be more because of more people there to chat to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 am 

please remmeber DM some of us arnt so computer savvy i didnt even know what LOL or BRB meant couldnt figure out why you were saying lots of love strange thing for a bloke to say well some anyway lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:31 pm 

I thought it was loads of laughing but oh well....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:23 am 

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/LOL, so tons of meanings there. But normally it means "laughing out loud". There's another idea for a new bot command though, "!acronym". You type in the command followed by the acronym you want to know the most common meaning of and it will give you the answer. E.g the user puts in "!acronym lol" and the bot would say "Meaning: laughing out loud". Or if the bot sees Janny269 put in that command and acronym, then it could say "Meaning: little old lady", :mrgreen:.
And don't worry if you don't understand how to use it jwmcn1, as it's not something that anyone would have to learn. Also I could help people with it when I'm in chat (Which is most of the time.).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:22 am 

hahahahahahah fomclmao....... you figure it out !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:17 pm 

jwmcn1 wrote:
please remmeber DM some of us arnt so computer savvy i didnt even know what LOL or BRB meant couldnt figure out why you were saying lots of love strange thing for a bloke to say well some anyway lol

Irc and bot commands are not that hard to use but if you don't use them all the time they are easy to forget. For example in the ptw chat client you can create a private channel by typing /msg APlayers name message here and then hit enter. They will respond and bingo new private channel, well not private till we password the channel which I am not sure we can do with this client. Try it next time you are on the chat client rather than spending your time hunting me down. roflol