All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

how bout it? (see post)
yea sounds fun 59%  59%  [ 19 ]
no your retarted 41%  41%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Messages to Pirates...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:46 am 
Bros Before Hoes

like if im sittin there... out of moves or not... and a pirate comes next to me to attack me... i can like right click instead of left click... and leave em a message such as "nice try" or somethin lol... whatever i wanna say lol... and chat is fun n stuff... but i wanna taunt some of those people that dont come in chat lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:14 am 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

It would also be fun to be able to leave a default "away message" kind of thing for while you are away... Someone who has you within radar can then read the message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:29 am 

im the only one who things your a total **** up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:50 pm 

Just think of the abuse this would get. Right now I'm enjoying this site because everyone is friendly and not screaming "I'll hunt you down and kill you!" every other post. I'm pretty sure someting like this would help change that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:22 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

ironlung wrote:
im the only one who things your a total **** up?
\

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:36 pm 

I votes yes, but I do think you are retarded too..... :P

j/k

but I think this would be kewl option

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:28 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

There would have to be restrictions on it so that the sea is not littered with garbage. Here are a some different types of messages I've thought of:

1. Messages to people who attack you.

You would be able to set messages for successful or failed attacks. These would pop up in the same area as the "You have plundered xxx from..." for the attacker

2. Messages left on your ship.

If you attack a ship, you can leave a message afterwards without using extra moves. These would then be able to be checked at a kind of nonintrusive "inbox". If you want to leave a message without attacking, it would require moves (same as attacking) to get up next to them and drop off the note at their ship.

3. "Away" Messages

These would be nonspecific, voluntarily read messages with some way for you to know that someone has one up.. The little glitch last night might be a good way. When someone has an underline underneath their p, you can right click on them (or something) to read their message--without using moves. It would be like a ship having signal flags up. If you are within 'sight' of them, you would have a rudimentary static form of communication. This would be a way to say "Gone until 2/5/06", "no gold no fame", and so on. It would add another level of intrigue to the game, as you wouldn't know whether to trust their message or not.

4. Location Messages

You could leave a message at a specific spot (for a specific pirate or pirates) that someone can pick up into their inbox when they visit that location. These would have to be restricted to prevent spam cropping up around the world. This would allow, however, pirates (cooperating or not) to leave messages for each other at a certain location that they check regularly without having to use the forum or the chat.

5. Fleet Messages

Since fleets are not yet part of the game I'm not sure quite how this would work, but I think it might need to be an important part of fleet activities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:06 am 
Official PTW Wench

As I've mentioned repeatedly, I'd love to be able to send a one line text message to pirates I've come across but not attacked - just to say "hi there!". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:38 pm 

I don't like it. Trash talking really turns me off which is why I never go in the chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:48 pm 

I have a daughter that's retarded. I think you should not use the term so loosely and in such a negative way. She's a blessing.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:18 am 
Bros Before Hoes

BeerHunter wrote:
I have a daughter that's retarded. I think you should not use the term so loosely and in such a negative way. She's a blessing.....

and i have a brother that is... dont try to keep things so secluded... my mom still uses it... its not taking a shot at mentally handicapped people... which is the politically correct term

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:41 pm 

isn't fire retarded by water? ok anyway i mentioned in the fleets discussion that instantaneous messaging to fleet members makes sense (more than giving people an excuse to be rude to any pirate they come across) maybe colored flares or preset messages are 'safer' for content and to ease the potentially large load on the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:53 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

Phage wrote:
isn't fire retarded by water? ok anyway i mentioned in the fleets discussion that instantaneous messaging to fleet members makes sense (more than giving people an excuse to be rude to any pirate they come across) maybe colored flares or preset messages are 'safer' for content and to ease the potentially large load on the server.

or a character limit for messages.. say... 25-50 characters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:41 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

*bump*

i was thinkin about this earlier.. or maybe just like a type of system that allows you to send any messages to pirates... any pirate.. even ones not in chat or on forum.. and it can go to a little inbox type deal.. and maybe a little think can pop up below the fame box saying "you've got mail" or somethin like that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:29 pm 

I am standing on the line on this one.

I like in-game messaging, as I've played many MMPOGs, and I enjoy chatting back and forth, and it would be great if you could do in-game messages, even if the person is not on your radar.

One of my favorite things about in-game messaging, is the "HATE MAIL" time in Chat and forums. You just hit a Pirate for 30k Gold, and the person writes you back and tells you how they're gonna come and rape your mom, and do nasty things to your dog. It's always fun to paste those messages in chat.

But, that also creates a problem for the game. I've seen many people quit due to the taunting and things of that nature. So some of the best parts of in-game messaging is also some of the worst parts.

One of my favorites, was in another game, there was a player named "ukrules" and he just beat the crap out of another player in the game, and the player wrote back that he was going to come to "UK" and **(F-Bomb)** the Queen. So, ukrules posted the message in chat, and then posted his reply: "I didn't know the University of Kentuky had a Queen!"