Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The new way to combat mappping in the game.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:48 pm 

so there was just a huge discussion in the chat about mapping and how to stop it (or at least make it more fair to those who dont have time to map).

Here is my idea, make a limit on the amount of new moves you can get in a day. (ie 400 or 500 im guessing is the average?) because with the mappers, they can get 3000+ moves in a day!! that is just crazy if you ask me. But if you have a limit on them.. once you get over the limit of moves for that day, you will get gold instead. That way the mappers can still map and get the max moves and gold they can.. and us non mappers can still have a chance because its not 1000 moves per day vs 3000 moves per day. I think that would be the most fair thing to do for everyone.. thoughts? discussions? post it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:50 pm 

But you can still get 3000 moves it will just cost $105 dollars.....30*3.50(for 100 moves).....lol.....

Then Gold Value will go down as well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:51 pm 

Yeah im not sure how many people realize how big mapping has gotten.. one individual i know made his own mapping program during the beta, and now has 24% of the world mapped.. he claims he can play non stop for about 4 hours because he knows where all the islands are to hit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:56 pm 

It is only one strategy that is being deployed to play this game......so of us have mapped small sections so we can find fame resets after attacking everything in sight....

With a fame of 200 a reset comes in handy.......and islands are were you get them.

So of course i am going to note where islands are.

If you think all i do is map then why am I closing in on:
Total Attacks 6996
Successful Attacks 6935

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:07 pm 

We are looking for a way to balance this out.. we don't consider mapping to be cheating, but it's not fair that people are using 3rd party programs to do so. Please give us your feedback on ways to make this fair for everyone. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:14 pm 

Automapping should be banned but the use of excel or similar programs which require you to add info yourself should not be......no different than pen and paper....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:42 pm 

Fear is right on that one. OUT WITH THE AUTOMAPPERS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:20 pm 

SilentBob wrote:
Yeah im not sure how many people realize how big mapping has gotten.. one individual i know made his own mapping program during the beta, and now has 24% of the world mapped.. he claims he can play non stop for about 4 hours because he knows where all the islands are to hit

Heh, wonder who that individual is..... :lol: I tried your beta for fun, interesting (still a lot of bugs) but I don't bother mapping (not that obsessed), I just play 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:24 pm 

I agree with the ban on auto mapper, but for those who want to take the time and use excel or some other way of writting the coords down themselfs I don't see a problem with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:39 pm 

I don't see how you could possibly see mapping in general as being cheating, that's just a part of the game, but I definately agree that you should have to work at it and do it manually to get the benefits.

You could always add a CAPTCHA every once in a while, but that would probably start to get annoying for the rest of us if it happened too often and wouldn't really help if it wasn't often enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:41 pm 

Captcha?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:44 pm 

One of those little pictures where you have to type in the text thats on the picture to continue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:00 pm 

Oh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:33 pm 

manual mappers deserve to reap the rewards of their HARD WORK. despite what some say, it takes a long time to map a sizeable area (especially on dial up) using excel etc.

i'm not saying people should or should not be able to use a 3rd party program because it's up to admin to make the site secure from them if they so choose.

it's true that i could play as many hours as i want realistically without running out of moves (all you have to do is change ship to match up to the next island without wasting moves on other sea types) EXCEPT that one major interruption called rollover. when my 700 whatever moves go blip down to 300 I have to start all over again building them up if i want to keep playing (which by that time i usually don't because i have a job and go to uni).

it's also true that mapping and island hopping can be really boring and i just want to go out and hunt. fair enough. not everyone(or anyone) who maps and hops does it 24/7 and it's stupid to say 'i haven't got time so it's not fair for them to WORK HARD AT PLAYING AND GET REWARDED' we all have roughly the same amount of time to play (even the teenagers have to sleep and do school work and are restricted by their parents) in the long term, so calling mappers cheaters is ridiculous.

Post subject: Re: The new way to combat mappping in the game.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:34 pm 

sms4001 wrote:
so there was just a huge discussion in the chat about mapping and how to stop it (or at least make it more fair to those who dont have time to map).

Here is my idea, make a limit on the amount of new moves you can get in a day. (ie 400 or 500 im guessing is the average?) because with the mappers, they can get 3000+ moves in a day!! that is just crazy if you ask me. But if you have a limit on them.. once you get over the limit of moves for that day, you will get gold instead. That way the mappers can still map and get the max moves and gold they can.. and us non mappers can still have a chance because its not 1000 moves per day vs 3000 moves per day. I think that would be the most fair thing to do for everyone.. thoughts? discussions? post it here!

On a different note from stopping automapping, the amount of moves is one of the advantages of having a good map, but it really doesn't take that long to map out an area big enough that you can't hit every island in it anyway, not due to lack of moves but due to lack of time. I do generally end up making around 3000 moves per day, but the reason I stop is because I don't have the time to play more than that.

I think the way to change this would be to change the number of moves given out overall, not just add some artificial limit. Just hitting islands, here I generally get about 1.2-1.3 moves back for every move I use. If I may use WW as another example, there I generally get 0.7-0.8 moves back for every one used just hitting mountains. This difference means that there I run out of moves after 2000 or so even hitting only mountains whereas here I can go on indefinitely.

So rather than just adding a hard limit, I would just adjust the number of moves given out so that ratio moves below 1. This will in effect create a limit without taking away the advantage of mapping completely.