Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: assayers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:47 am 

they havn't put the assayers back in the game yet, my guess is that they are making some changes to the assayers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:49 pm 

Or maybe they are adding some great prizes too. Either way, the wait will be worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:55 pm 

Ship is starting to list a little to port because I've taken on so many pearls. Guess I'll have to place them in my hull for ballast. I have 43 pearls now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:40 pm 
John the Fisherman

I'll take them if you like!

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 pm 

Alas M8 t s: All the assayers have been taken hostage and held for ransom at cutthroat island; if you want an assayer there will be a fee of 1 upgrade depending on the pearl or pearls that you have LOL........ 8) ........with lots of love tee hee.....AKA CaptainFearless.............

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:37 pm 

Any idea when we will be able to do something with our pearls?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 pm 

Sure do wish we could get an answer as to why we lost the assayers. 107 pearls and counting. I know they are mostly .01 gold but still would like to check them. It's already gonna take half an hour to check all of these.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:09 pm 
John the Fisherman

that's all part of the excitement!

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:39 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

We haven't got the assayers back because I've been busy with other things. I've explained some of this before, but I'll say it all here.

The catalyst of everything was that I found a critical error in the code. To fix it in the current codebase would have been, in my opinion, more difficult than what I did, which was to rewrite a good portion of the website (the main page and the members area) into a better website framework that automagically solved the problem. It entailed switching to a new server, which was also something that I have been meaning to get around to for a long time. It also solved a lot of other problems that I had been dealing with, which are too numerous to get in to. A lot of things on my to-do list were checked off, and finding the bug just seemed like the best time to knock down all the pin with one throw.

Unfortunately, a few things have not been ported over to the new system yet. The assayers, the change password/email/profile page, and the forgot password links are among them. So far it hasn't been "too" much of a problem, and the only thing that people have really noticed missing is the assayers. Some of the database tables were changed (pertaining to the treasure chest which pertains to the assayers) and I can't just cut and paste the old code over to the new system.

In addition, the assayers weren't initially meant to handle the number of pearls people find. Cashing in one pearl at a time when you have 107,010,912,301 pearls would drive anyone mad. I still haven't figured out how I want to go about doing this, but in the current game it will probably wind up being a page in the member's area where you can cash them in all at once.

I'm also still spending a large portion of my time working on the new game in the hopes that I can get it launched very, very soon. I am not going to make any promises about when that is though. I made that mistake before. At the time I thought I could get it done in the timeframe I gave myself. I was most certainly wrong. A number of different things have happened since then, both in PTW and my personal life, and I just wasn't able to make the progress that I wanted to.

The server switch and the new codebase for the old site / member's area are steps towards PTW2, however they also delayed me working on it even more. I have to choose what to prioritize, and the assayers so far have been low priority. You are still able to find pearls, and possibly prizes inside those pearls, and save them. They are safe in your treasure chest--their value and prizes reserved for you until the system by which you can cash them in is rewritten.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:17 am 

Thanks for the update.

Im really looking forward to the assayers coming back, I only have a few pearls but they are my first so I'll be like a kid on Christmas morning the day they come back. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:27 am 

Thanks for the answer Capt. I didn't mean to be a bother. I really didn't see your post before or I wouldn't have brought it up again. I am sure you are doing all you can and can't wait to see the new game when it does come out!
Thanks again.

Six

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:56 pm 
John the Fisherman

I can't wait to use these SD for the new game!

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:21 pm 

Thanks for the update SeaCaptainN. They are sure going to be busy wee assayers when they return!!! :)