Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about New Game
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:12 pm 

Wtg SeaCaptainN and bcp19! I have a few questions thought, which I am sure everyone else is thinking too. If I want to try to get referrals for the new game, do I use my old referral link or do I get a different one since it is gonna be a new game. And I look forward to thinking that my co-ordinates won't be able to be pmed to another player so I get lam blasted and end up with very little gold. I also think the lower cashout is great! Good job! I have a few places that I can put a referral link so if I need a new one please can you let us all know? Also, do we automatically get into the new game or do we have to resign up some place else and if so, shouldn't we start now? I hate to bother you with all this, but I am so excited about the new game. Looking forward to July 1st.

Post subject: Re: Questions about New Game
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:00 pm 

Additional questions:

"Lots of people have discussed cashout in the forums. Some like it the way that it is, some hate it with a passion. Either way, it's run it's course and it's time for it to walk the plank. Starting with the July cashout, upgrades will be sliced for every 20 GOLD Doubloons that you cash out...cumulatively. This means that if you take 15 GD in your first month and 5 GD in your second month, you will be subject to cashout slicing in your second month."

By how much will upgrades be sliced?

"That's right...we're getting rid of the coordinate system! No longer will they show up in your game screen or your attack logs. You'll be on your own to determine where you are and where you want to go."

Doesn't that make it a little hard to remember landmarks to go back to a spot you once wanted to? I know it's probably in repsonse to superfreakyfleets but is this in concrete?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:32 pm 
Crotchedy Old Fart

globell45 wrote:
Wtg SeaCaptainN and bcp19! I have a few questions thought, which I am sure everyone else is thinking too. If I want to try to get referrals for the new game, do I use my old referral link or do I get a different one since it is gonna be a new game. And I look forward to thinking that my co-ordinates won't be able to be pmed to another player so I get lam blasted and end up with very little gold. I also think the lower cashout is great! Good job! I have a few places that I can put a referral link so if I need a new one please can you let us all know? Also, do we automatically get into the new game or do we have to resign up some place else and if so, shouldn't we start now? I hate to bother you with all this, but I am so excited about the new game. Looking forward to July 1st.

There will be a complete reset with the updated version of the game. There will be some sort of option to transfer your chest items over to the new game, more to come on this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:41 pm 
Crotchedy Old Fart

tiqvah wrote:
Additional questions:

"Lots of people have discussed cashout in the forums. Some like it the way that it is, some hate it with a passion. Either way, it's run it's course and it's time for it to walk the plank. Starting with the July cashout, upgrades will be sliced for every 20 GOLD Doubloons that you cash out...cumulatively. This means that if you take 15 GD in your first month and 5 GD in your second month, you will be subject to cashout slicing in your second month."

"That's right...we're getting rid of the coordinate system! No longer will they show up in your game screen or your attack logs. You'll be on your own to determine where you are and where you want to go."

Doesn't that make it a little hard to remember landmarks to go back to a spot you once wanted to? I know it's probably in repsonse to superfreakyfleets but is this in concrete?

The upgrade slicing details are not finalized as yet, so I do not want to give information out that may end up changing. We will have this information out no later than the 15th of June.

As to the coordinate system, concrete. In the old days Pirates did not have the internet or cell phones or any other means of instant communication, so if you want to plunder with your buddy, then you will have to follow him across the map while he is hunting and hope he doesn't out run you lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:32 pm 

bcp19 wrote:
tiqvah wrote:
Additional questions:

The upgrade slicing details are not finalized as yet, so I do not want to give information out that may end up changing. We will have this information out no later than the 15th of June.

As to the coordinate system, concrete. In the old days Pirates did not have the internet or cell phones or any other means of instant communication, so if you want to plunder with your buddy, then you will have to follow him across the map while he is hunting and hope he doesn't out run you lol.

I get the point, and I get whats it is aimed at. Remember I'm one of the most anti-fleet plundering guys here. And yes, now putting work into making a coordinate based map doesn't get you anywhere of an advantage over the 'casual' player.

However, it looks like I didn't communicate my point, as you went straight to the fleet answer:

Unless you want to state that the world is in constant motion an tectonic flux, there is value in understanding spatial relationships between points in the world. i.e. NE of town Grog-Central is a good bit of islands to look at. In this case removing coordinates penalizes the non-fleet player just as badly as the fleet player.

How many of you have played Ultima III and IV? Ultima 4 decided to have fun with you and remove the coordinate system from the map so that you'd have to rely on the moongates and other navigational landmarks. After playtesting LBJ (Lord British) ended up adding the sextant (as an item you'd have to find) just so players would not get frustrated in trying to figure out what way was up.

(I mention Ultima IV as this new game looks a whole lot like the seafaring end of said game.)

Y'all will do what you need and feel is right to try to get this place into a new golden era of sorts, but I figured before launch would be better than after launch to at least voice the concern.

Damn makes me wonder where all the folks who I used to swap Ultima hints with ended up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

I haven't played Ultima, so I'm not sure what you're referencing.

However, maybe this will help: North will always be vertically up on your computer screen, so if someone tells you go to north 30 spaces, then east 30 spaces, you would go up 30 "spaces", then right 30 "spaces". The graphics engine is tile-based, so there is definite spacing, however you won't be able to say "I'm at 130N 182E, come to where I am" and have someone else know instantly how to get there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:19 pm 

No, but if I myself find a place, to find that same place again, would thus be up to me making a graphical every tile colored map then, or to count every move I make after leaving that place--- I can't say, wait I know I'm in the middle of the ocean in 120N-130W and that there are a bunch of islands over to the east--- because I have no point of reference to where I am.

A way around this would be offsets like the conversation DM and I had on this topic several months ago. (Personal offsets so the coordinates would be displayed as pseudo coordinates that would be unique to each account.)

And actually if you get bored, the Ultima collection is available on a single disk, 1-7---

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:09 am 

the graphics engine is tile based.
1) is that to say that we will be playing on the same 200x200 quad grid as we do here or has the grid expanded? :?
2)is this info goin to be available so that the pirate enthusiast can chart their own map ? :roll:
3)will the transfer of SD take effect at mindight of the 30th, june? :!:
4)overall when can iwe expect to see any new rules and or guidelines afforded?
5)will pirates transferring over to the new game be required to keep they present pirate names? :twisted:
see there are pirates here who've been rather diligent in there visits to my boat (3x's/wk) since the start for me and i'd like to pay them the same dedicated attention, since i can no longer do it here, i'm hopeful to recognize them in the new game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

1) No, it will not be the same 200x200 grid that you currently play on. The map will be constructed of graphical "tiles", so they will be similar to the coordinate spaces that you currently see, however there will be many more of them and it will look much more like a "real" world.

2) You will be able to see as much map as your upgrades allow you to see. If you want to chart it you can. I don't think there will be too much of an advantage to keeping your own map, however there will be lots that we will all figure out as people start to play in the new world.

3) The transfer of SD and chest items will most likely be a manual process. So, once the game goes live, you will "register" for the game and be given the option to transfer over items from the old game, using your username and password from the old server. It won't happen automatically.

4) I hope to have as many rules / guidelines as I can built right into the game, so that you don't need to read a big rulebook before you can start playing effectively. Once things become finalized, though, we will compile a manual and it will be posted on the main website for players and visitors to read.

5) Pirates will not be required to keep their present names, however you will NOT be able to take a name of another present pirate.

:king: :rambo: