Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Attacks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:33 pm 

Can someone explain this to me:

"Blue:

Your attack is the same as their defense, so the attack could go either way. Also, if your Observation is less than their Navigation, you may not be able to tell whether they are green or red. "

Here's my last 14 attacks on blues:

Saltaran Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:21:21
smiller Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:21:01
lexie Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:20:53
mandytech Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:20:51
fulty Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:20:23
vicker Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:17:34
davio69 Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:17:31
ajim Success 166 Gained Feb 25 14:17:22
jwmcn1 Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:17:13
mary0203 Failure 0 Gained Feb 25 14:17:12
AirRogue Failure 0 Gained Feb 23 13:56:36
fulty Failure 0 Gained Feb 23 13:04:57
nsng20 Failure 0 Gained Feb 23 13:04:35
diskmedel Failure 0 Gained Feb 23 13:04:33

So 1 successful attack out of 14. And yes I read that MAYBE they're red and I don't know it, but come on. For something that reads as a 50/50 this is utter BS. The bottom line of my whining is that there is NO WAY for any average player to get ahead in this game. NONE. And I asked Seacpt if there was a reason cashouts have to be in $20 chunks, but NO REPLY. Sounds like he really cares about his players. Thanks

And if anybody knows of a way to shut an account down please let me know. I've wasted enough time with the awful site.

Post subject: Re: Attacks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:05 pm 

Sixer;

That's pretty much a list who's who in this game. Try some other dots, blue or green. You're going to knock somebody off the top your first time out. Keep at it, find a sinker, get lucky, whatever it takes.

And never, Never! End the day with Fame over 0. Anything over 0 and your gold will be gone by the morning. Have at it, Mate!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:11 pm 
John the Fisherman

sixer, you misread it..

when they are blue, it doesnt mean they are 100% 50/50

Blue could ALSO mean that their navigation is higher than your observation, so you don't know if they are red or green...therefore, you don't know that you will fail, so when you attack, you do fail because they were supposed to be red

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:56 pm 

i can relate to how you feel. its taken me over a year to get were i am now and i still cant get the likes of pop YET and on the way ive lost to attacks over 2.7 million gold yes that is correct and get a group of ships about the same level as you and swap information on who you can and cant hit and ALWAYS try and keep low fame i wish i had done that to start with and a lot of the bigger ships just seem to sit and wait for you to come to them so stay in an area and farm so they have to find you but stick at it and the best of luck and if THE ADMINS WOULD AT LEAST CHANGE THE CASH OUT TO IN GAME SILVER ONLY AND SPEND THE MONEY ON PRIZES TO PUT IN PEARLS SO ALL WOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE A CHANCE it will remain a top pirates winning money game only

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:12 pm 

"its taken me over a year to get were i am now" Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately, I don't feel like wasting a year of my life dealing with the frustrations that come with this game. I'll be sitting at 1S, and 1E until all my gold is gone. And then I'll just be another lost ship at sea. Maybe someday the newbies will have a chance in hell of catching up with popcan and larry and the rest. Until then, why waste years of your life getting nothing in return?

Signing off,

Sixer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 pm 

Sixer, have we forgotten it is just a game. Sure someday maybe if we are lucky we might be able to cash out, but it is a game and a game of chance at that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:34 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

Sixer,

First of all if you want to shut down your account either PM or E-Mail me with that request.

It will be an irreversible action.

Secondly,

If you specifically ask questions to me in the forums, I sometimes won't answer them if I know the answer is somewhere else on the forums. I don't like being a forum troll who just tells you "go look" but that's basically how I feel sometimes. If you can't be bothered to do a search then why should I be bothered to answer the question.

Also, lots of other people like to answer questions here, and might be better at it than I am because often what I say or write is taken as "law", when indeed it's not.

The short answer to your question as to why cashout has to be done in $20 increments is "that's how it's always been done".

The longer answer is I didn't make the decision in the first place. I didn't start the tradition, but I also don't like to change tons of things all the time because lots of people are used to things being the way that they are. Why not eliminate a monthly cashout "competition" all together. Let's make cashout in $1 increments and you can cashout at any time. Oh, well, now the game is totally different because lots of people would just cash out to their treasure chest as soon as they get some gold. Fame would be disregarded because as soon as you get any you can remove it from your ship. Why would the cash-oriented people upgrade when they could just attack towns and search islands all day and incrementally make a few bucks. I bet people wouldn't buy moves or fame resets as much, thus lowering the income that PTW generates, thus lowering the amount of money / prizes we can give out and raising the cashout rate. After a few rounds of inflation going up, income going down, and players leaving, Pirate The World dies and we have to shut down the server because we're not making any money.

Small changes can seriously affect the entire system if they're not implemented properly.

Also, it's a very difficult procedure to change just about anything in this game. There is no one place for me to update a number and have cashout be in $5 or $1 or $2.50 or whatever increments. A year ago when we added the $5 silver cashout option...that took hours of programming in a number of different parts of the core code. Stuff does't work when you meddle with it on a whim. The game breaks, or the cashout scripts get screwed up and everyone's accounts have to be restored, or all-of-a-sudden you can attack people more than 1x in a day (remember that one?).

As to your question about blue being 50/50... Read the part about observation. If your observation is less than their navigation, that means that you cannot determine whether they are either green or red anymore. Thus, the actual percentage isn't 50/50 anymore and you WILL FAIL MORE THAN 50% on blue pirates on average across all players.