Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: question about attacking
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:17 pm 

I didn't say you had to be a group here to succeed, but when groups propogate, it does become hard to progress otherwise. I cited the exodus game in that respect.

It might be the way it goes, and how life works, but my statement said that it was not good sportsmanship

"Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing."

Ok, not all of it fits, but really, most players coming here just want one thing. A fair shot. Yes, it should be hard; yes, you should have to be smart. But teaming up strikes me as unbalancing the equation, and really not in the spirit of fair play.

Look at all these forum posts, how many of them are about how to keep new users around? And how many of the topics are how to keep people interested when they get splatted! So, we talk about technological ways of dumbing down the game instead.

Yes, some of the onus is on the newbie (sorry have hated the damn l33t speek/spelling since the days of the 414s and the L0D.):

1) New players do need to get smarter by reading more. How to Play alone should be read several times, otherwise you miss things. (hence above)
2) New players do need to get smarter by trying others strategies and then developing their own.
3) New players need to toughen up as they are going to get splatted and splatted big occasionally. Even if some of the more liberal protections went into place, eventually there will be a wake up of a time when you bleed some gold.

What they don't need is people makin deals with their lil friends for splats.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:31 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

I agree that it is really hard for people when others team up and gang-hit on pirates with holes in their ships--especially when the victims don't know what they're doing.

Ganging up on the experienced, but risk-taking pirates I am all for. :-D

I have been reluctant to work on fleets because of a lot of the problems that people have come up with. An official way for people to organize themselves can have a HUGE impact on the way that Pirate the World is played.

If I can get it right, fleets will have both positive and negative aspects to them, and will not be the only way that you have to play.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:31 pm 
Sadistically Sane Sailor

Even if official fleets were to be made.. What would stop the secret fleets from interacting? I like the loose alliance idea personally. I just think older pirates should have more mercy on newer ones. Something has to be done to protect and keep the newer pirates on the game. But unless the newbies protection is focused on there really is no safety since some are all about the piracy race, so any dot on the screen is a target.

Any of the people in the group i may or may not be in don't maul newbies, or gang up on people either. We may or may not be just a few less "total pirates on the seas" to worry about plundering each other. In some cases, if i was in such a group, we may or may not point out someone found that's on another's hit list for revenge... I of course do not speak for all groups though, some are more vindictive than others I'm sure and make it a point to hit all the "high hits" out there with each other.

To be a 100% honest if official fleets were made i might go underground with the group i may or may not be affiliated with.

Though some of the older players get nailed in this way too, many newbies suffer the wrath big time. I still stress that more has to be done to protect new players like limited hits aloud on them per week or some thing. If people would only read instructions on how to play much gold loss could be averted. I have also met a few in the lovely chat room that i wont hit simply becuase i think there nice. Im sure many are willing to help eachother if only more people interacted with one another, Its easier to hit a named dot than a dot you know, even if your not affiliated with them in some way.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:23 am 

socorban wrote:
tiqvah wrote:
From the How to Play page on the topic of Attacking (italics added):

Ya dont have to be part of any group to succeed. Play smart. If you leave your ships sitting with gold and lotsa fame thats your own dang fault, I will be sure to come alleviate you of some of it too. :twisted:

is that me your talking about?!?! :cry:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:20 pm 
Sadistically Sane Sailor

Quote:
is that me your talking about?!?!

hey you started hittin me first! I must admit, i was disapointed in the 240 pieces you donated last night... I was hoping for a tad bit more... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:17 pm 

socorban wrote:
Quote:
is that me your talking about?!?!

hey you started hittin me first! I must admit, i was disapointed in the 240 pieces you donated last night... I was hoping for a tad bit more... :wink:

yah i know!! i started it!! and it's great! i love this game! it saves me millions of hair, lost everyday (that's for my boss shouting at me everyday). to tell you the truth, i like to pull my boss' hair instead but he doesn't have one. hahaha!!! if only i could make him play here, he'll make his hair grow back so i can pull it!!! buwahaha.....ooppss!....i remember.... he's my uncle.... damn it!!! i'll just feed him to the sharks.!?!
thanks to you guys. you take the stress out of me!
nywayz, 'bout last night, what a shame, its my first time gettin' a fame reset on the very last move...guess i have to keep that gold overnight this time...buwahahaha
PTW rulez....

p.s. seacaptain i have sooo many friends here in the philippines that would like to join but after seeing topics from this forum that newbies goes in and out of the server, they suddenly loose interest. i have a suggestion, how about newbies get 1 week protectipon from attacks and for those who cashes out at the end of the month loses half of their upgrades for the next month??? that would be fair i think!?!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:42 am 
Sadistically Sane Sailor

Well moniac, I'm not sure why, or what possessed that gesture last night on your part, but i cant in good conscience hunt you anymore. I can only assume you didnt want your gold going to the usual weeners? Needless to say i guess i owe you, wether it be from my ship or form someone else's (preferably the later). :wink:

I do agree that something needs to be done to give more incentive for newbs to stay, and i know seacaptainN you said you were milling the ideas around, which is good. But im not down for losing my upgrades. I agree on some form of protection for newbs and incentive, as some pirates on here dont care how much fresh meat they run off as long as they can get a few pieces quick. Im not that type, like stryker said to me... We need to "fatten" em up so they stay not drive them off in a few days with relentless assaults for a measly few pieces of gold.

The chat is brilliant by the way, i have takin part in "fattening up" a few myself with good tips and methods to lose less and gain more. But something other than that has to be done, i can wait to see what ya come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:17 am 

1) New players do need to get smarter by reading more. How to Play alone should be read several times, otherwise you miss things. (hence above)
2) New players do need to get smarter by trying others strategies and then developing their own.
3) New players need to toughen up as they are going to get splatted and splatted big occasionally. Even if some of the more liberal protections went into place, eventually there will be a wake up of a time when you bleed some gold.

What they don't need is people makin deals with their lil friends for splats.[/quote]

Wait a minute... Lets blame the new players now?
1. I did read all the boards to learn
2. NEW players have to learn the game before they can develop strategies. remember NEW
3. Nothing to do with being tough, More to do with getting mad.
4. And for those who repeatedly have said how the newbies leave their fame high over night. BULL. I have never left a fame higher then 0 overnight.
I mostly farmed anyway.

Look the whole point of the post was to talk about the ones who are in IMS and telling each other who and where they attacked and how much they got. and to hurry and go attack them too.
You can't tell me its not going on, and thats not right.
they attack the newbies more because they aren't going to attack their alliances (ok not all but most)
Come on stop blaming the newbies........
I left my fame high so that people can have my gold because I QUIT

I will check back in a few months to see if anything has changed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:40 pm 
Sadistically Sane Sailor

Awwww, mrsdalra, i don't want to see you go! I agree totally though. While some newbs don't read the instructions and wonder aimlessly around, many do, many get the jist of it but are ganged up on by the bigger players for a few measly pieces. Its very sad. Mrsdarla.... you already were "in" with a good group, all ya had to do was ask for help! I lost a few k helpin you out! Remember that time you said you were being chased and suddenly i blew past you going in the opposite direction? I smacked 3 ships to tick em off and sure enough they changed course to hit me. I tried to by you time to escape, and that wasnt the only time....

You were on the right track, it just takes patience... All ya hadda do was ask for help from a few people and it woulda been done. More people need to take an interest in getting the new guys bigger stats then an interest in hitting them for a few hundred or k right away and making them that irritated they quit.

Im so sad to see you go mrsdarla, i hope you take a moment to cool down and come back with a vengance! Come back soon!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:28 pm 

tiqvah wrote:
Thought on group attacks:

How about once a ship is attacked it is 'safe' for 5 or 10 mins?

Ok, what about the other 23 hours and 50 minutes in the day? People just have to wait until the time runs out and attack you. I can wait for the chance at some booty. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:41 pm 

xtkiller wrote:
tiqvah wrote:
Thought on group attacks:

How about once a ship is attacked it is 'safe' for 5 or 10 mins?

Ok, what about the other 23 hours and 50 minutes in the day? People just have to wait until the time runs out and attack you. I can wait for the chance at some booty. :mrgreen:

I think a 5-10 minute window should be sufficient for anyone to stop and realize they have left the door open (high fame) and need to find a reset or risk another mean hit. I personally thought this suggestion was a very good one.

I realize I am still a shiny noob but I can't say that I am unhappy. In fact, thanks to some fine tips on farming and watching my fame levels from Socorban and Darkmyst, I have managed to do pretty well considering I have only been a member for several weeks.

Fleets or Alliances: I am highly against organized fleets. Like another member mentioned, I am also a member of Exodus where alliances reign. I am about to quit Exodus as I cannot make progress there and it takes several days to earn even cheap upgrades. The loose alliances like some of the top dogs here have, while testing to be sure, are not unsportsmanlike nor unfair. As players we need to learn and some unfortunately have a longer learning curve. I have had some really hard hits and multiples too but I learned from them and have no hard feelings. Sure I was rocked when I was about to make an upgrade finally and saw my gold diminish but that's part of the game and besides, I HAVE A GOOD MEMORY! LMAO

Upgrade Reductions: I want no part of this! I suspect the member that suggested a member lose half of their upgrades upon cashing out must be an Exodus member as they do this there. It is also one of the reasons I intend to leave Exodus the minute I cash out if I even wait that long. While the more experienced player can recoup from this faster than a new player, it can be hard at times to achieve upgrades, especially the more expensive upper echelon upgrades. People work very hard for their upgrades and I consider them sacred!

Radar: I have seen mention in several of the forums topics about the color coding of ships on the radar with regard to observation and navigation levels. It took me a few days to realize that while someone appears blue, it might be because they are masked by their navigation level and not because their defense is equal to your attack. As a result I know I attracted the attentions of some of the big dogs who looked at my failed attack with a "How dare he" response and smacked me good! Personally, I would like to see something which gives a little more information while not giving it all away cause this is on the order of an Angler Fish which baits in the little fishes. I would hope also that the more experienced members understand that this is a learning game and us little fish mean no disrespect but rather must learn from trial and error!

Finally, I would like to say thank you to Socorban, Darkmyst and others who have taken the time to chat with me and share some tips. I really like this game and plan to hang around cause I'm having fun, even when I get my stern peppered!

SK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:50 pm 
Sadistically Sane Sailor

Well subliminal im glad to see your taking friendly advice and acting upon it. I agree totally with the no no on the reduction of stats from cash out. I busted my rear just to get where im at and would not be pleased if i and to do it allllll over again just because i cashed out.

SeacaptainN is working out the kinks so just bare with him. These changes take time and precautions. Things cant be randomly thrown out there as all players have different views on any subject so the admins have to be careful not to step on to many toes to spare some others.

:smurf: smurf hunts!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:24 pm 

Quote:
I think a 5-10 minute window should be sufficient for anyone to stop and realize they have left the door open (high fame) and need to find a reset or risk another mean hit. I personally thought this suggestion was a very good one.

OK, I would say that this makes sense but I have already made around 200 plus moves before finding any fame resets.

Here is an idea, do not attack anyone and your fame will not go up. HAHA
:salut:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:44 pm 
Sadistically Sane Sailor

LOl. Giving advice one doesn't follow? If i do recall I've seen you on my attack logs plenty of times! Fortunately, you have went from leaving WITH my gold to leaving EMPTY handed. Woo hoo go me! :alien:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:28 pm 
John the Fisherman

wow

listen to all the new people coming up with ideas...

always good news!

I think the 5-10 minutes seems fair to me...this might also work well with the 1/2 fame loss after a successful attack

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman