Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: game issue/white page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:04 am 

this morning while playing everything was going smoothly (made around 500 moves) until I came across Ptrdanno. When we were in the same game window, my page turned white and I had to wait for the page to load again before I could move. I decided to do a test to see if it would happen again so I drove past Ptrdanno again..the exact same thing happened but this time he/she got me for half my gold.
This used to happen with most of the other blue players (lag, white page, black page) but lately it has stopped.
What can be causing this to happen? with certain players? It only appears to happen with blue ships and sometimes with green ships but I recognise them as stronger players.
They must be using some kind of script..I find this very suspicious.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced lag when they are near me

Post subject: Re: game issue/white page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:42 pm 

I haven't noticed it with you specifically but it does happen to me a lot. And yes - often with bigger players, happened the other day with larry - I tried to move away and the game froze - guess what - pots of gold gone. The question 'why does this happen' has been asked a lot over the past months and I've never read a reply that gave me an answer...lots of suggestions like what browser are you using etc etc but it seems to happen to lots of different people on different combinations of browers etc. I play a lot of other games and don't experience problems like I do on PTW. Guess it's part of the game - but I sure wish it wasn't!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:28 pm 
John the Fisherman

do a check!!!

do a check!!!

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:47 pm 
The Doom-Bringer / Site Admin

It may unfortunately be part of the game right now...for some people...on some browsers...or whatever... but that's not how it's supposed to be...... (the extra dots mean something new in programming-land is coming. :-) )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:07 pm 

wwsucks wrote:
I decided to do a test to see if it would happen again so I drove past Ptrdanno again..the exact same thing happened but this time he/she got me for half my gold.
This used to happen with most of the other blue players (lag, white page, black page) but lately it has stopped.
What can be causing this to happen? with certain players? It only appears to happen with blue ships and sometimes with green ships but I recognise them as stronger players.
They must be using some kind of script..I find this very suspicious.

VERY SUSPICIOUS INDEED !!! And this is not the first time ... ??? !!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:48 pm 

Yes, this issue has been here since I have started playing. However, nothing will be done about it. I am sure that those involved in this script usage are a supporter of this game. I know what you are all thinking. Did he say that? Yes I did, sorry DarkMyst but the issues with this game are an ongoing problem that never get fixed. I have been here since the end of August and in that time; I have never seen a treasure hunt conducted. The tavern has been shut down, except for Christmas day. No new developments have been posted. Yes, the talk about the new beta version was tossed out but there has been no update. There have been posts made in the forum that should have been deleted because of the harmful things that were said. As far as I am concerned, the owners do not care because of the lack of response. I understand we all have lives but come on check your email and respond back to questions and concerns that come up. The fleets are a problem but not against the rules. I guess it is part of the game that players need to just deal with. Now onto the multiple accounts, do not tell me it is not possible because I know you can download or use a proxy server to mask your own ip address. This system does not block all of the free proxy servers on the net. If the owners were to look at the names of some of the ships in the game, they would start to see a pattern. There have been boats that appear one day after different pirates talk about things in the game chat. The new boats have names that correspond with what was talked about. I know that I am not the only player that has noticed these problems. Many others have complained about the same issues I have brought up here. I just hope that this game is not left a hundred more ghost ships. This game started out fun but has deteriated so much that I think I am done playing. I will miss the in game chat the most those few good people know who they are.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 pm 
John the Fisherman

xtkiller wrote:
Yes, this issue has been here since I have started playing. However, nothing will be done about it. I am sure that those involved in this script usage are a supporter of this game. I know what you are all thinking. Did he say that? Yes I did, sorry DarkMyst but the issues with this game are an ongoing problem that never get fixed. I have been here since the end of August and in that time; I have never seen a treasure hunt conducted. The tavern has been shut down, except for Christmas day. No new developments have been posted. Yes, the talk about the new beta version was tossed out but there has been no update. There have been posts made in the forum that should have been deleted because of the harmful things that were said. As far as I am concerned, the owners do not care because of the lack of response. I understand we all have lives but come on check your email and respond back to questions and concerns that come up. The fleets are a problem but not against the rules. I guess it is part of the game that players need to just deal with. Now onto the multiple accounts, do not tell me it is not possible because I know you can download or use a proxy server to mask your own ip address. This system does not block all of the free proxy servers on the net. If the owners were to look at the names of some of the ships in the game, they would start to see a pattern. There have been boats that appear one day after different pirates talk about things in the game chat. The new boats have names that correspond with what was talked about. I know that I am not the only player that has noticed these problems. Many others have complained about the same issues I have brought up here. I just hope that this game is not left a hundred more ghost ships. This game started out fun but has deteriated so much that I think I am done playing. I will miss the in game chat the most those few good people know who they are.

xtkiller, first things first, I understand why there havent been any new tavern questions and treasure hunts...there are certain bugs (such as this one) that need to get fixed first in order to make the game better...

doing a treasure hunt is fun and whatnot (I have taken part in two) but first I'd like to see the game get fixed before hand...need to work before you play

One of the harvesters of the sea

I think before my days are done

I want to be a fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:40 am 

I almost responded to this with my gut response but whatever I would have said would wind up making certain people angrier than they already are.

I refrain from saying a lot of things that I want to say on these forums because I have to be civil to everyone. As long as I have been here I have tried to say only constructive or nice things, and when I can't I don't say anything.

Please, xtkiller, think about things. Do you truly believe that I don't realize what's going on? I have already decided that in order to fix the problems here I have to rewrite the game. It cannot be fixed in it's current state, and anything that I have done has only been temporary band-aids while making the code more complicated and less manageable.

As I see it, I can do one of two things while I get a new version of the game working. The first option is we can shut down the game until we have a rewrite completed. This would cost PTW money and players for every day that it is down, and it would make everyone (players and admins) angry and irritable until things are up again. Honestly I don't want to deal with the stress to get it finished while managing the rest of my life. Things would get done hastily and the game would probably be launched in a sorry state for the umpteenth time, and we'd have problems all over again.

I don't think anyone wants that.

What I feel is the best course of action is to attempt to 'clone' the current Pirate The World into a much nicer, cleaner programming language that will allow for a better future. If you're interested, the programming language is Ruby, and the web development framework is called Rails...or, together, Ruby on Rails. Look it up if you want.

While I work to 'clone' the current code, I can (hopefully) eliminate what I think are the bad, messy parts that might cause lag or the other problems. I can also set up the scaffolding for future improvements that have already been suggested. Very few other games like this require the time synchronization that PTW does, where having a good connection to the server in Los Angeles becomes such an important part of the gameplay. I currently don't have an answer for how to solve this dilemma...We can either change the game so that lag doesn't matter (i.e. you would no longer be chasing moving ships anymore...whenever that happens now anyway), or we can try to come up with a high-speed, low latency codebase that might be able to deal with it.

Yes, it takes time. No, I don't have a lot of it. You might not know it, but there are only two of us here at Pirate The World, LLC. Neither of us have an abundance of time on our hands (in fact, as I'm sure you can see, it is quite the opposite). We don't have the resources to hire someone else to do a project of this magnitude.

Please, be patient. Report anything suspicious that you see, and be specific about times and dates and players. Try not to jump to conclusions--leave that to us. Remember, though, that just because you don't get a response it doesn't mean that we didn't read it.

Lots of people, it seems, have problems with the game. Some people are pointing fingers at other players, saying that they are using cheater scripts or something. I've said this before--if you have information, please pass it along. We don't take cheating lightly, but we're not going to go banning everyone based on hearsay.

If it's that bad, would you rather the game be shut down?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:06 am 

DON't shoot to the messanger please ! Thanks !!!
CONGRATS for U're courage and honnesty XT !!!

SeaCap, i believe most of us [u]having a lot of respect of what U and BCP are doing here... and we thank U for that !!![/u]
We are looking forwards to the new upgrade or game, we also hope that cheaters shall be BANNED out of the game, at least then,
like u said earlier, maybe the worst of them are those who doing it now and then... U can miss players like that in any game !!!

a message to all those who fits the shoe :
PLAY IT FAIR or be fair enough to leave this game, don't wait till the new version is there..
then 'maybe' u're conscience can be claer again...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:31 am 

would it be possible to change the cashout until the problems can be rectified or those responsible for cheating are found (if possible,) so that only silver doubloons and no longer any gold for cash can be exchanged for in game resets and moves so those who find the need to only try and make money from the game and not treat it as it should be A GAME to be played for enjoyment and if any others feel the same as i and would rather that all the money went into prize pearls so as all had a chance it would be a much more even playing field than please say so as i as well as others would like to stay and not have the game ruined by a few .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:37 pm 

Here...Here...to SeaCaptainN and BCP for the great job they are doing! Yes, this site has some issues that need to be resolved, but they are doing the best that they can with the time they have. I am going to say this, first to help make people realize just how great this site is........THIS SITE IS REAL!!!!!!!! It is not a joke site or a scam site. They do payout and they do send the prizes they offer when won!!!!!! How many game sites out there or any other sites out there do you know of that honestly do that?! Not to many. I have been scammed so many times on the net with so called great sites that I had lost count. Even when I won the laptop, my daughter Laila (Kimmie) kept telling my hubby not to let my heart get broken cause he knows what a mushmellow I am and how naive. Can you imagine her surprise when she came home from school one day in December and saw the actual laptop I won sitting on the dining room table? That was when she decided to join. Come on folks, have a little patience....SeaCaptainN and BCP are holding down jobs, have their own family lifes, and taking care of PTW.....and then add the rewriting of the scripts.....well, doesn't leave much time for sleep.
Think about it. Having to defend themselves isn't right either. I could see if nothing ever got done, or no cashouts ever made or no prizes won had ever been sent, but it hasn't ever been like that!!!!!! If I had champagne right now, I would offer a toast to both of them for the great job they have done. This site is the only one I know of that actually gives the prizes and cashouts on a regular basis. I received my laptop within 2 weeks of winning it. I don't know of any other site that does that. I even heard that Netwinner is becoming unreliable lately. Don't know if it is true, but I have never heard that about PTW since SeaCaptainN and BCP took over. Just be patient and when the new game is ready, we will all kick some pirate booty! Love ya both SeaCaptainN and BCP.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:04 am 

I went past Ptr tonight and it didnt lag but then I don't think this person was online..Instead, I had the same results as wwsucks happen to me with Larry..to whom I lost a large chunk

copied from the original post by wwsucks***

this morning while playing everything was going smoothly (made around 500 moves) until I came across Ptrdanno. When we were in the same game window, my page turned white and I had to wait for the page to load again before I could move. I decided to do a test to see if it would happen again so I drove past Ptrdanno again..the exact same thing happened but this time he/she got me for half my gold.
They must be using some kind of script..I find this very suspicious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:12 pm 
Beware of the Black Spot

All I can say is wow.

I get the same white page occasionally like the rest of you. I just don't run with 50 fame. I don't know what to say. I invite seacap to take over my puter and scan it for scripts.

I work on the puter for my work, and have ptw on a lot. I obviously work with a fleet as that makes it more fun for me as this is a social event for me to stay in touch with my friends et al. That's it.

I'm not going to address anyone individually to keep it all cordial. I enjoy the game. I haven't cashed out much, maybe $20.

I used to come to and be active in the forums all the time, but have stopped because the mood really takes away my enjoyment of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:09 pm 

I dont think pointing fingers is the way to be heading, esp. when some of the issues have been around for a very long time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:56 pm 

I agree, as I've said before, that pointing fingers isn't what we need here. ptrdanno, you're not under serious scrutiny here... You just happened to be the person who attacked wwsucks when they got the whitepage.

I think a lot of people might be confusing the timeline of what is happening. Are you getting a whitepage and then getting attacked? Or are you getting a whitepage after getting attacked? It's hard to tell and things happen so fast (on the order of microseconds here) that perhaps there is something about the attack routines in the code that is giving the white page...meaning that you get it because someone attacked you and not the other way around.

I don't know--because it's a random thing that doesn't happen every time its hard to track down.