Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PTW Update
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:27 pm 

Just an update...

The attack seems to be minimal right now, which is leaving the site useable. (knock on wood)

The game is disabled for the time being while we wait and see if the attack is going to continue or stop.

I have heard that people are bad mouthing PTW over on the "other site" forums saying the game was ruined by cheaters and that we are gone for good... so I am asking any of you that still play there to defend PTW and let everyone know we are not going anywhere, we are just dealing with dishonest people trying to ruin a honest game.

We honestly don't know who is attacking us... we can only speculate. We don't want to point any fingers either. From the beginning we have been honest and we will continue to do so and not stoop to the level that our attackers have.

Please feel free to email me directly with any questions or concerns about PTW: http://www.repustech.com/contact_us.php

Last edited by repustech on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:05 pm 

Ten four that big J.

Im bored

Somebody entertain me

please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:34 pm 

when all this problem can be solve...
miss ptw so much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 am 

Thanks for the update! I just hope that the attackers can't get into your game database or the personal info database. *eek*

Post subject: to the admin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:02 am 

i just started designing a site like this and noticed the same things that seem to be taking these sites down and found a souloution... it's kinda costly but if you find the right hosting service with a redirect option you can purchase hosting on like 3 diffrent servers with the minimal price so its cheepest but run your redirect to the page after and have all pages redirect to a junk site with a very limited bandwidth and on the page you want to have just set the login page to one server and the game to another with authentication so when under an automated Ddos it will send the spoof users to the junk site.

basicly you have 3 host sites
for example
ptw-login.com
ptw-junk.com
ptw-game.com

have the main game site name (piratetheworld.com) redirect to ptw-login.com, then ptw-login redirects to ptw-junk.com unless the user logs in
and ptw-junk.com would have no redirection there fore all the spoof ip's would sit at ptw-junk.com
and with url cloaking you can have a huge string of numbers before the game page (http:///www.75975387643865874538634854386593759749.ptw-game.com)
and the site name would still be the same

aswell there are hosts that block trace routed ip's
i.e. if you trace route an ip it will go back all the way to the originating signal so if you trace an i.p. and it is the trojan computer it would still have some where to trace too so it would continue all the way to the origional attacker's i.p.

this option would take some time but once you have 3-5 trace routes complete you would have a lock on the origionating signal from the attacker and could thereby press charges or implement an anti-hack procedure into your site

i offer my services to do the trace routing free of charge if you should choose this option

i can also go into more detail on both of these options and maybe devise more if needed

hope this helps

EDIT:
on a side note i have also found a site that blocks certain pages from being reached unless you download a verification software that stays with your pc and this would also be a possible soloution to your problem because Ddos is automated to just send the "puppet" computer to a site and the "puppet" has no interaction with the site and just visits it and this option would be painfully easy to code into a program using visual basic

Post subject: Re: to the admin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:40 am 

one of the main problems with ddos is the amount of requests, not the bandwidth they use (too many requests for the cpu to handle).. so im fairly sure your method above would still block the first contact server.
There is ddos prevention software and hardware available, these work by analysing each request, and either approving it or blocking it before it reaches the server (in most cases this hardware will be more powerful than the server itself!) however.. this is cost prohibitive to all but the largest websites.

the idea of using a program before you are allowed to access a page is the same - this still requires an http server, and so can be attacked.

never fear though, im sure the ptw staff are working around the clock to come up with a good solution (it must be costing them a bomb to only run forums) on that note, i declare this "Lets click the banner" day... take a look at the banner, if theres something that interests you, click it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:32 am 

hey guys out there..
PTW was going well..
i can log in today..
the adventure will continue..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:38 am 

thanks for the haiku. in other news....
umm..
hmm..
i dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:45 am 

logged in today, had 600 moves and about 1000 gold, worked my socks off (yes i am new to the game) and got one 4k radar upgrde and a 5k crew upgrade; or something along that price :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:36 pm 

Glad to see you all playing agian... :D