Pirate The World - Online Adventure Game

Pirate The World Game Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Random factor does not realy work.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:18 am 

things come in packs and this happens too often.

for example you can play about 100 moves smoothly- that means you get various stuff in turns, sometimes even 200-300. you get bonus moves, then you lose them in storm, then some fame reset, then some storm again, and so on.
but sometimes (and i have watched the game for about 4-5 days)
something jams up, and all you get is storms, storms, storms, or bunch of resets (3 in the row or even 8 with small intervals)
or, whats worse, you dont get one for hundreds of moves.

lets look at the rolling dice ( and all randomness engines are pretty much like it)
possiblility of recieving ANY of the numbers is the same. when it starts act strange- all the time you get for example 6, you can say something is wrong. the same goes, when its NOT giving one number for a long time. (well, that possibility is much lower, but say if you throw a dice 100 times and you never get 6, it is not normal)

of course, if you want to unlevel the possibilities, you can throw 2 dices (or more). in this case (2 of them) the rarest combinations would be 2 and 12. i must say they would be EXTREMABLY rare.
most of the time you would get 3 or 4. now that would be balanced engine for a good gameplay. i would put 3 and 4 values "you get nothing"
2 value "storm" and 12 value "fame reset"]
thus getting 3 fame levels in a row would be EXTREMABLY strange thing.

well, you can allways add some side algorhythms, that interfere to make randomness less random, creating specific situations. illlustration- you swap one dice with "modified", that gives out one exact number all the time. then you swap them back again.

SO, is it a bug, or its is meant to be this way? in case of a damn insect, please use some RAID, it can be quite annoying :?

Last edited by megadog on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:45 am 

Obviously the random factor works because some people find alot more than others. There is nothing against you or any secret plot on our part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:56 am 
-debbieDowner-

You should know this as much as anyone.. It worked exactly the same way in the other game. Somedays you get lucky, some days you don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:25 am 

well, i think that the times u get moves from islands is WAY to much!
i started with 600 moves, got 2 your fame has been reset, and then i got like 70 moves, thus i had a total of around 660 (lost 10 moves due to the moving)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:28 am 

yeeah, i dont expect it to be the same all the time, but this "pack" thing is very obvious, i hear it from others lately too.
looks like a bug, i dont want to say anything about any plot.

I personaly prefer, when sucess means mostly skill and SOME luck.
now its much more luck involved then (in my opinion) it should be.
you cant be sure about anything, a brilliant plan fails, when you dont get a reset for a long time and lose 50 moves in 7 turns. after watching some grands melting away , you realize that russian roulette is not your game and you want to use your brain more than rely on some random luck.

if DO mention "the oher game", you could be about 80 % sure, that 20-50 mountains will give you a reset. therefore you could plan ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:40 am 
Official PTW Bastard

just so you know, "random" number generators arent really random at all, they just take the next digit in a very long string of digits, and possibly add some modifiers to them. the number you get is predetermined and reproducable.

i played a game on another site that claimed a player with a certain attack level could hit 65% of the time for example. but it turned out that if you got a successful hit, and then attacked exactly 8 seconds from then on, you would hit 100% of the time because the number generator had some kind of pattern that appeared every 8 seconds.

its quite possible that ptw has glitches like this. i highly doubt i would find moves, then hit a storm, then find more moves every single day in that exact order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:11 am 
Bros Before Hoes

meatzone wrote:
just so you know, "random" number generators arent really random at all, they just take the next digit in a very long string of digits, and possibly add some modifiers to them. the number you get is predetermined and reproducable.

i played a game on another site that claimed a player with a certain attack level could hit 65% of the time for example. but it turned out that if you got a successful hit, and then attacked exactly 8 seconds from then on, you would hit 100% of the time because the number generator had some kind of pattern that appeared every 8 seconds.

its quite possible that ptw has glitches like this. i highly doubt i would find moves, then hit a storm, then find more moves every single day in that exact order.

meaty is a smart one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:56 am 

Megadog is right though, it is kinda weird. I'll get 3 storms in a row, or 2 fame resets right after another, or sometimes in my favor, I'll search an island and get over 80 gold four times in a row.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:56 am 
Bros Before Hoes

KingDragun wrote:
Megadog is right though, it is kinda weird. I'll get 3 storms in a row, or 2 fame resets right after another, or sometimes in my favor, I'll search an island and get over 80 gold four times in a row.

ever seen a random number table? which is what a random # generator runs off of? numbers are on there more than once... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:22 pm 

huskerswrkhavoc wrote:
KingDragun wrote:

ever seen a random number table? which is what a random # generator runs off of? numbers are on there more than once... :roll:

i remember those, I had one in the back of my math book -__-, ah the good old days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:45 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

ironlung wrote:
huskerswrkhavoc wrote:
KingDragun wrote:

i remember those, I had one in the back of my math book -__-, ah the good old days...

lol i have to have one for ap stats... and i have a generator in my calculator :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:04 pm 

This is getting outta hand. This fame reset thing, not that I don't like it, but it's kind of annoying because I ALWAYS get it when it's unneeded. I was playing just now. I searched an island and got a reset. I clicked, searched the next island, and got another reset. I played and played, and my fame ROSE. I didn't get one for ages. Then I get a reset, then next island, reset, go over some oceans, next island...reset. It's just getting annoying. They come in clumps. There is just about NO random factor for the reset (except for the random clumps).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:13 pm 
Bros Before Hoes

KingDragun wrote:
This is getting outta hand. This fame reset thing, not that I don't like it, but it's kind of annoying because I ALWAYS get it when it's unneeded. I was playing just now. I searched an island and got a reset. I clicked, searched the next island, and got another reset. I played and played, and my fame ROSE. I didn't get one for ages. Then I get a reset, then next island, reset, go over some oceans, next island...reset. It's just getting annoying. They come in clumps. There is just about NO random factor for the reset (except for the random clumps).

sure its random... even if there is an equation for it, it is still random... like.. if fame is 1... 1-99 on random table is reset, and 100 is not? just an example... but its random... just suck it up and play like the rest of us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:06 pm 

I'm not sure how difficult this would be, but maybe they could throw in a piece of code for when you have less than 5 fame and you get a fame reset it changes it to something else like gold or moves. I think moves would be best because adding more gold to the pot makes it worth less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:39 pm 

i can deal with it, play the game good and fave fun with it anyway,but
PLEASE DONT CALL IT RANDOM,WHEN ITS NOT.
today was no exeption. 3 fame resets i a row in a first 30 moves, then after 200 moves (90 fame @ 7000 gold, scary,huh? :D )
i got one, and thats it. i have a bitter experience lately and i stopped playin then (after upgrading)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next